Senior Software Engineer - Data Infrastructure (Remote)
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:Our data infrastructure team maintains, operates and expands data ecosystem at Quora which includes Data warehousing, Streaming infrastructure, Distributed cluster-computing framework, Distributed query engines, Messaging systems, Data pipelines & Automation Tools. In this role you will be responsible for contributing to different aspects of data pipeline development and operational stability of the production big data systems. We leverage existing open source technologies like Spark, Flink, Kafka, HDFS, Hbase, Hive, Presto, Airflow and also build our own systems for experimentation & time-series analysis. As a member of our team you would spend time designing and scaling our distributed data systems, working closely with other teams to identify and execute on new use cases & evangelize the correct use of data at the company. We are looking for someone who will be excited by the prospect of optimizing, enhancing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture/pipelines to support our next generation data initiatives.
- Design, implement, maintain and optimize data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Collaborate with data scientists, platform engineers, and business partners to understand data needs and drive key data infrastructure decisions.
- Bring your expertise to help model structured & unstructured data. Own these data models at a high level & be a data consultant for partner teams.
- Own the data definitions & lineage across different data platforms and maintain systems of record for operational and non operational data stores.
- Engineer reusable capabilities, abstractions & resilience in data pipelines for DML, DDL, ETL & Data flows which can be leveraged across teams.
- Be a data mentor & a team player with strong communication, prioritization, and adaptability skills.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Members of our Infrastructure Engineering team are not required to work the full coordination hours, but should anticipate that they will need to be available Mon-Fri from either 11am-2pm PST or noon-3pm PST at minimum. Learn why here
- Proficiency in any/all of the programming languages: Python/Java/Scala & strong query authoring skills in SQL.
- Must have 5+ years of experience building data pipelines, including data ingestion, cleaning, processing, transforming, staging & loading.
- Proficiency with big data processing frameworks: Spark, Flink, Hive, Hadoop, Kafka, EMR, Presto.
- Operational mindset with ability to do Problem diagnosis, Root cause analysis, SLA compliance, Performance tuning and Incident Management in Data Infrastructure.
- Experience building data-intensive applications (high velocity/high volume).
- Experience with SQL/NoSQL data store & data lake operations.
- Flexible and positive team player with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals.
- Hands-on experience with AWS technologies like S3, Redshift, EMR/EC2, Athena, Snowflake.
- Familiarity in designing and operating a streaming platform (eg. Kafka, Flink, Spark)
- Data wrangling & Data tooling ability
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs