Flight Reliability Engineer
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FLIGHT RELIABILITY ENGINEER
The Flight Reliability Engineer owns the risk for every mission we fly. This individual will be responsible for bringing the technical leadership required to make sure SpaceX flies vehicles safely and reliably as well as lead investigations, drive corrective actions (with the help of Build and Design Reliability) and ensure that the lessons learned are communicated to every applicable discipline.
- Interact with the engineering, production, mission management teams from the planning stage all the way to launch for the purpose identifying and mitigating risk while supporting high launch cadence.
- Lead mission planning, timeline reviews coordinating inputs from teams, identifying and evaluating mission unique items.
- Monitor and assess test or production anomalies for flight risk and work with engineering to resolve issues leading up to launch.
- Run flight readiness activities including performing and organizing data reviews, mission workflow, readiness reviews before major launch vehicle operations and post flight data review and analysis after major launch vehicle operations.
- Assess changes to the vehicle configuration and design modifications for cross-system impacts.
- Identify and evaluate technical risk to launch operation; build flight rationale and mitigation plans to manage risks.
- Work towards the launch chief engineer role. Participate in launch operations- coordinate anomaly resolution when there is a need, and corrective actions to avoid further mishaps. This includes on console technical leadership, ability to think on your feet and coordinate and communicate.
- Perform independent technical review and verification of flight hardware and/or software system functionality and reliability.
- Maintain a system level knowledge of Falcon 9, Dragon and ground systems and work with design, build and operations teams to drive improved reliability.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or STEM discipline.
- 3+ years of professional experience in an engineering role.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge and mastery in various SpaceX vehicle systems (hardware and analysis), including experience in developing hardware, multi-disciplinary analyses or hardware/software tests or launch operations is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of the disciplines necessary for spacecraft flight including: structures, propulsion, avionics, guidance, navigation and control, flight software, dynamics, launch and mission operations, systems engineering and integration. Practical experience in hardware development projects a plus.
- 1+ years of experience with launch vehicles, spacecraft or other aerospace systems.
- Capable of solving complex problems on schedule as an individual or as a member or leader of a team. Comfortable seeking out information to solve problems and organizing it in a manner that helps decision-making.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with an excellent ability to communicate with engineers in all disciplines and at every level.
- Demonstrated experience in leading or working on a multi-disciplinary engineering problem.
- Ability to quickly grasp knowledge of a diverse range of hardware and analyses that go into making SpaceX missions reliable and successful.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as MatLab, Python, SQL.
- Able to work longer hours and weekends to support critical needs.
- Willingness to travel in support of hardware test and launch.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Cloud Infrastructure Architect Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs