Engineering Manager, Infrastructure Engineering
Remote, United States
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Infrastructure Engineering Team
The Infrastructure Engineering team builds and operates the compute infrastructure necessary to connect customers and pros at scale. Our engineering teams are constantly developing new software and product features to deliver a seamless experience for hiring pros and getting service leads, and our team ensures they need to worry as little as possible about the complexities of modern cloud infrastructure.
We focus on containerization, observability, scalability, and security, so that it’s easy for the average engineer to do the right thing. To read more about the problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
We are seeking a passionate and highly motivated individual to join Thumbtack’s Infrastructure Engineering team. The role is a deeply technical one, and a successful candidate will have a strong understanding of architecting modern cloud infrastructure systems, as well as directly leading teams of engineers to build them. We study current trends in operational philosophies and methodologies, and think critically about how to apply them to our work, so that our systems are available, durable, observable, and self-healing.
- Build and grow an amazing team of both application and infrastructure software engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Lead and manage the team as a hands-on technical leader. Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, and guide the team on execution. We expect managers in this role to deeply understand technical infrastructure and review code and configuration changes.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering leads to ensure our technology platform meets our company goals and allows product development to move fast.
- Develop strategies for hardening our network and application infrastructure alongside the Security team.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering management role and 5+ years experience building and operating software at scale.
- Strong management, communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong technical skills and is willing to be hands on. Able to guide the team in systems design and architecture, help debug issues, and develop an infrastructure roadmap.
- Deep technical knowledge in at least one area typically associated with infra/ops roles (network design, security, data stores, et al.)
- Broad familiarity with tooling across infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CloudFormation), container management (ECS, Kubernetes), data stores (Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB), observability (logging, metrics, graphing, alerting, tracing).
- Experience architecting cloud-native applications in a cloud environment, AWS preferred.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Deep technical knowledge in any of: Elasticsearch, Postgres, Kafka, InfluxDB, Jenkins
- Strong understanding of metrics and observability, and ability to connect data with end user impact.
- Working experience with DevSecOps practices, SIEM, SOAR, and Security Operations Center (SOC)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs