Software Engineer - Reliability Engineering
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Software Engineer - Reliability Engineering to work closely with product teams in London, solving some of the challenging scale up and reliability challenges that we have.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
The Site Reliability Engineering team is responsible for understanding deeply the sources of unreliability, and how we can build better systems that are resilient and cope well against these. Reliability is a partnership between product and platform teams, and SRE is responsible for leading optimal use of the best practices across industry, to build the best possible product for our customers. It is expected that SREs have a healthy dose of paranoia knowing how complex, distributed systems can fail.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You will be working hands-on as an Software Engineer Reliability Engineering, closely with one or several of our product teams. After onboarding, it will be a case of identifying challenges that the team(s) are facing when it comes to reliability and scaling to meet our customers’ demand. This means understanding what the tradeoffs are when it comes to the product - from what are the product expectations, to thinking about failure modes and fallbacks of distributed systems.
- You are keen to build scalable solutions, able to think about complex software and systems engineering problems, and need to be curious about how things work under the hood. You are a problem solver and are able to deliver iterable or evolving solutions, in a collaborative and open way.
Is that you?
- Strong experience in Java (or other languages), ideally knowledge of Spring Boot/Framework, designing and implementing libraries and frameworks
- Debugging skills when it comes to systems, e.g. issues with disk, network, app/JVM performance, and able to think in logging/metrics/alerting terms
- Understanding and curiosity when it comes to distributed systems, how they can fail, and the best way to cope with those scenarios (perhaps chaos engineering, automated canary analysis, etc)
- Experience with AWS (or other public cloud), Docker containerisation and Kubernetes
- Good knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases - on how to best utilise them
- Will not settle at all for unexplained downtime and outages, do not want to be woken up in the middle of the night
Nice to Have
- Experience with building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on preferably AWS
- Knowledge and an eye on newer architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, observability
- Have clear understanding of the test pyramid, including end-to-end functional and/or load tests at scale
- Security-first mindset - keeping up to date and possible have worked on remediating vulnerabilities reported by a bug bounty program
- Experience with advanced release and change management processes
Key Areas of the role;
- Reliability is not solely owned by SREs - it’s a partnership with product teams to mature their understanding of SRE principles
- Define and create standard operating procedures that are compliant and auditable - emphasis on automation and tooling where possible
- Plan out the reliability roadmap for product teams, making trade-offs and having discussions about SLI/SLOs where necessary.
- Sees failover and DR events as something that needs to happen with regularity and should be seamless
- Failing is an opportunity and lesson! Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement and prevent similar problems from happening again
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs