Cloud Engineer - 12 month FTC
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
(Please note this is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract)
What would I be doing?
As a senior engineer, you will be designing and building solutions to move our cloud data platform to the next level. The potential breadth of the role is wide, but in particular you will be expected to:
- Work on identifying & addressing top priority cloud security risks
- Help integrate logging pipelines for security and other controls, and implement monitoring and alerting so that we know immediately when things go wrong
- Build custom tools that enable us to govern data, access and resources efficiently at scale; when the existing tools are not suitable for that purpose.
- Minimise process bottlenecks and automate recurring tasks
- Evaluate new service offerings and latest security features offered by GCP and complementary / compatible technologies, and maintain the roadmap to adoption
- Build cloud security awareness among engineers and help them design secure GCP solutions
- Act as a liaison with Google’s Cloud team on technical issues and updates
More generally, you will apply good engineering practices and agile principles to the priorities of the day, ranging across:
- Architecture design
- Requirements analysis
- Software development and testing
- Troubleshooting and resolving technical issues
- Performance tuning
- Sharing knowledge through structured, clear and succinct documentation
- Keeping up to date with best security practices
What we are looking for
- A strong drive towards automating processes; an ability to lead and contribute to the development, maintenance, and usage of deployment / task automation
- A proactive approach, able to work on multiple parallel activities in a fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Good verbal and written communication skills
To be successful in this role you must have the following experience:
- Deployment of production-ready code
- Proficient in writing and maintaining software with Python
- Significant experience of working at the Linux/Unix command line
- Knowledge of and recent experience of cloud service providers including the following GCP services: IAM, BigQuery, and Google Cloud Storage
- Good understanding of security principles (least privilege, separation of duties, CIA triad etc) and how they apply to real world scenarios
- Some exposure to IaaC tools like Ansible or Terraform
- A good understanding of databases & operating systems
- A good understanding of the DevOps culture and its basic concepts, such as source control management tools, continuous integration / continuous delivery, deployment strategies.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- A degree in Information Security, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- A good understanding of the security community, toolsets and knowledge sources
- Experience with implementing and managing the lifecycle of enterprise-scale security tools and services.
- Knowledge of and recent experience of the following GCP services: DLP, Data Catalog, PubSub, Composer.
- Experience with configuring Google Cloud Platform / AWS / Azure to security best practices.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs