Test Automation Engineer (Electrical), Dragon Engineering
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST AUTOMATION ENGINEER (ELECTRICAL), DRAGON ENGINEERING
Within the Dragon Components & Subassembly engineering team, Test Automation Engineers design, build, and implement test systems to support development, qualification, and acceptance testing of flight hardware. The creation of electrical equipment and specialized software to validate complex electromechanical and fluid assemblies remains a key component of our future success. The team is looking for an engineer with experience in automation and controls to help further develop our testing infrastructure and tools.
- Work with a cross-discipline team including electrical, mechanical, controls and software engineers to develop reliable, automated test infrastructure
- Own the development of test equipment from conception to deployment, carefully balancing product specifications, process requirements, complexity, cost, and lead-times
- Lay out electrical control panels which are compliant to established standards, create electrical schematics, and manage internal resources to drive these designs to completion on a set schedule
- Contribute to the software tools and frameworks which are used to automate test equipment
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components; design custom solutions when an off-the-shelf option is not available
- Deploy automated processes and equipment into production
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience in the design and commissioning of automation and controls systems (including internships, design/build/compete project teams)
- Experience with Python or other scripting language
- Experience with LabVIEW and National Instruments hardware or similar
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or related technical discipline
- Electrical schematic CAD experience (EPlan is a plus)
- Experience with:
- Industrial sensing and controls (pressure/temperature sensors, flow control, actuators, etc.)
- Serial communication, Ethernet communication, field bus networks
- Benchtop electrical equipment (soldering iron, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Knowledge of electrical codes such as NEC, NFPA 79, and UL508A
- Experience designing PCB’s (knowledge of Altium is a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a small development team
- Hands-on experience building and troubleshooting electrical systems
- Ability to determine best path forward on technical problems given incomplete information
- Ability to adapt (incl. roles/responsibilities) while in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Position may require extended work hours and occasional weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.