Sr. Flight Reliability Engineer (Dragon)
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. FLIGHT RELIABILITY ENGINEER (DRAGON)
As a Sr. Flight Reliability Engineer, you will directly impact the Dragon vehicles that supply critical science, supplies, and crew to the International Space Station. The Flight Reliability team coordinates launch readiness of all vehicles and verifies that the vehicle, software, and operations teams are prepared to fly. During and after the mission, the Flight Reliability team owns any anomaly investigations and drives continuous improvement by incorporating lessons learned from previous flights.
- Responsible for assessing pre-flight risks and potential mitigations with vehicle design, analysis, and operations teams, as well as communicating these risks to engineering leadership and NASA.
- Lead pre-flight readiness reviews during launch campaigns to verify all pre-flight risks are mitigated appropriately, launch site issues are dispositioned and verified, and critical pre-flight testing and review activities are completed.
- During flight, support mission operations to investigate observations or anomalies and make clear recommendations to engineering leadership and mission operators for real-time or future actions.
- Work with design and analysis groups after missions to review data, anomalies and observations.
- Lead root cause investigations of significant in-flight anomalies and drive corrective actions.
- Communicate the overall performance of the vehicle relative to the mission objectives to internal and external customers.
- Work with Design and Build Reliability organization to implement lessons learned to improve the SpaceX development process, as well as review vehicle design and operations concepts for future applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or STEM discipline.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a quality, manufacturing, design, or testing engineering role.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering or STEM discipline.
- Experience with multi-system engineering design.
- Ability to perform trade studies using first principals and engineering fundamentals to assess risk and make clear recommendations with rationale even with partial information.
- Demonstrated capability solving complex problems on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- CAD experience (NX/Unigraphics preferred).
- Experience designing/operating and building robotic systems.
- Knowledge of and experience in analog to digital and digital to analog converters, power supply components and design, analog testing/troubleshooting techniques, layout and grounding principles.
- Familiarity with common engineering materials properties (strength, life, thermal, compatibility etc.) including metals and soft goods.
- Familiarity with common aerospace instrumentation (e.g. pressure transducers / RTD’s).
- Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, Metrology, and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA).
- Knowledge of relevant aerospace design and test specifications, such as SMC-S-016, NASA-STD-5009, AIAA-S-080, and NASA-STD-5017.
- Ability and willingness to put in extra time to mentor other engineers while also being a significant individual contributor.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with technicians, other engineers, and managers.
- Dedicated to adopting a Lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability.
- Highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills – able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to succinctly present recommendations to stakeholders, the customer, and management.
- Ability to travel to remote launch & test sites in Texas and Florida when required.
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends, as needed.
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs