Software Automation Engineer, Space Operations
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE AUTOMATION ENGINEER, INTERFACES & AUTOMATION
Are you passionate about human spaceflight? Do you enjoy designing software around complex technical systems for user consumption? We are looking for a collaborative engineer who is excited to take on the challenge of helping to advance the future of human spaceflight. As a Software Automation Engineer in the Interfaces & Automation group, you will shape the tools and real-time displays that define the way our orbital missions are executed. You will work directly with SpaceX engineers, operators, and flight crews to better understand their needs in order to create applications that anticipate and solve the important problems they face. With a significant focus on simplicity and usability in our interfaces, your work will help revolutionize the way everyday spaceflight is conducted.
- Work directly with engineers, operators, and crew to craft aesthetically and functionally flawless operator experiences.
- Build and maintain the primary tools and real-time interfaces used to execute regular spacecraft operations.
- Conduct goal-based task analyses and user stories to develop software requirements.
- Identify automation opportunities to fly each mission more simply than the last.
- Take full ownership of application life cycles including documentation, test, maintenance, and continuous improvement.
- Conduct design reviews and communicate functionality to engineers, operators, and crew.
- Take part in console operations to achieve a first-hand look at problems and the effectiveness of solutions.
- Develop production-quality code against aggressive timelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline.
- 3+ years of professional experience in web development or software engineering.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of cognitive engineering and user experience design principles.
- Design experience and/or track record of developing with an eye for aesthetics.
- Comfort with front-end and back-end frameworks such as Polymer, Flask, and Docker.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Familiarity with launch vehicles or spacecraft systems.
- Previous spacecraft engineering experience.
- Previous experience in an operational role (e.g. Aviation, Scuba, Seamanship).
- Capacity to balance conflicting opinions and manage expectations between multiple teams.
- Able to be flexible and adapt in a changing and fast-paced environment.
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch operations and critical project timelines.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Cloud Infrastructure Architect Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs