PHP DevOps Engineer
Wimbledon, England, United Kingdom
Wimbledon, London, UK. (Keywords: PHP, Laravel, Docker, Consul, Nomad, DevOps, software, helpdesk, startup)
We're looking for a devops engineer with PHP experience to help build a automated deployment system for our on-premise product. If you like to build infrastructure tools and processes, read on!
At Deskpro, we make helpdesk software and we have customers of all shapes and sizes from across the globe, including Vodafone, Microsoft, NHS, and Panasonic. Deskpro is a large product with a large variety of features and modules, from email, chat, and voice, to blog posts, knowledgebase, and guides, and everything in between. There's always something new to build.
What you will do as a PHP DevOps Engineer
Your primary job will be to work on our on-premise automated deployment product. This is a product built with Docker containers and HashiCorp's Nomad/Consul. We've built a simple Control Panel that presents a web UI for common tasks such as deploying new app containers, installing updates, and changing various configuration options.
Along with that, there will be ample opportunity to work on all other parts of the business including CI/CD setups, our cloud SaaS infrastructure on AWS, and anything else that comes up in the future.
Deskpro is a small company, and that means you will sometimes be expected to dip in and out of various roles as needs arise. You will learn a lot through the varied work, and you will get satisfaction in shipping software that gets used by thousands.
Technology we use and where we're going
For our on-premise deployment product, we're using Docker with Nomad/Consul. The control panel web UI is built using PHP (Laravel).
Most of our cloud services we run, such as internal services, our telephony product, email processing, etc, are written in Typescript/Node and run serverless where we can. But we use lots of other technologies like Elastic, Redis, and services offered by AWS like DynamoDB . We even have tools and services written in Kotlin and Go. We're big fans of using the right tool for the job!
Most of the Deskpro product itself is written in PHP (Symfony, Laravel) with the primary data store being MySQL. The frontend is Typescript/React.
Why should you be interested?
- You'll get to use and learn about many different products, APIs and technologies. Deskpro is the central hub for a lot of companies, and we're always adding new features and modules and integrations.
- You'll get to work with real customers and get a peek into how other businesses operate their businesses.
- You'll get to learn about scaling software as well as scaling the SaaS platform as a whole.
- You'll get to try out new technology. We are constantly updating our stack and are always on the lookout for tools that will help us be more productive.
You are a good fit for the role if...
- You have an earnest interest in delivering a great product
- You have a lot of DevOps experience using tools like Docker and orchestration tool such as Nomad or K8S. We expect you'll have to learn some of our stack, but you will need a foundation to build on.
- You have experience with PHP (with Laravel preferred). Our control panel product is written in PHP and you will need to know enough to write "glue code" to connect the web UI to the server tools like Nomad.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. We are big believers in "writing stuff up", everything from spec's to dev docs to RFC's. You need to be able to know your audience and communicate clearly.
- You enjoy solving problems yourself and like working in a "get stuff done" environment. We're a small team and we all generally just get on with things in a fairly autonomous manner. You won't be micro-managed.
- Strong experience building and deploying infrastructure using tools like Docker, AWS, K8S, etc.
- Bonus if you have direct experience with HashiCorp tools Nomad and Consul. This is what our on-premise product uses.
- Experience with PHP. You don't need to be an expert, but you will need to be able to write basic APIs to "glue" things together.
- You should be a fast learner. We often venture into unknown territory so you should be a Google-fu master and have experience-driven intuition.
- You should be excited to dive deep into new technology. We're always happy to try new things if it'll help us ship better services.
- You should have opinions on "the right way" to do things.
- You should be a "do-er". You will have a lot of autonomy over your own work, and you will be expected to work with the team to make sure your projects get shipped.
- You work well with others and enjoy sharing your knowledge and leading by example.
- Competitive Salary + Share Options
- Varied work. Both in terms of what product features you will be working on, but you'll also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in other aspects of the company such as product planning, customer support, etc.
- A mixture of autonomy over your own work and real responsibilities to the team and business.
- Your choice of equipment (most of our devs like Macbook's with two 4k monitors).
- We encourage self-improvement: Company-sponsored server/hosting for your side projects; books; conferences; courses. Just ask!
- A chance to be truly invested in your work and the company with a generous share options scheme.
- 2 minute walk from shops, restaurants, pubs and gyms.
- Lovely new offices, BBQs in the summer, Monday team breakfasts and Friday lunches. Unlimited coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks with beers for Friday afternoon.
- BUPA Private Healthcare & Cash Scheme, Pension Scheme, Bike Storage, Season ticket loans, Reduced gym membership.
No recruiters or agencies please
Explore more DevOps, Cloud and SRE career opportunities
- Open Lead DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Open Sr. Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Jobs
- Open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open QA Automation Engineer - Workforce Engagement Management Jobs
- Open Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer Jobs
- Open DevOps/Configuration Management Specialist Jobs
- Open Lead Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Devops Engineer Jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open REST-related jobs
- Open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Open Prometheus-related jobs
- Open S3-related jobs
- Open Jira-related jobs
- Open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Open Virtualization-related jobs
- Open High availability-related jobs
- Open Golang-related jobs
- Open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Open EC2-related jobs
- Open VMware-related jobs
- Open Redis-related jobs
- Open JS-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Node-related jobs
- Open Jenkins-related jobs
- Open Grafana-related jobs
- Open Gitlab-related jobs
- Open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Open Perl-related jobs
- Open Web applications-related jobs
- Open Vault-related jobs
- Open Spark-related jobs