Principal Data Platform Engineer
Chicago, IL, Austin, TX, Scottsdale, AZ
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our users’ needs and wants. We work with a product team that is data-driven and human-centered in its design principles. We teach and learn from one another and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Data Platforms at Venmo
The Venmo Data Platforms team supports Venmo’s internal and customer-facing production data store engineering and operations. As a Principal SRE in the Data Platforms team, you will work directly with engineering leadership to prioritize efforts to align services operations with business goals. This individual will be a hands-on contributor that teaches by example and mentors other SRE and product owners how to improve services availability, reliability and scalability by driving best practices.
What You’ll Do
Partner with SRE, Infrastructure and Product leadership to understand overarching business objectives and help SRE team translate those into actionable plans.
Help the Data Platform and SRE teams define technology and business strategies that deliver iterative enhancements to the tools and processes that improve availability, observability and scalability.
Recognize, validate and evangelize emerging technologies and architectures that align with business objectives.
Collaborate with product owners to establish SLOs for the database platforms.
Influence and Lead by doing and meaningfully contributing to engineering teams’ production operations improvements.
Develop frameworks, tools and automation to manage infrastructure and application configuration via code.
Coach/mentor technical leads/engineers on design principles and database engineering best practices.
Demonstrate ability to learn new technologies and process practices.
What We’re Looking For
Bachelors and/or Master's in computer science or related field of study
12+ years' experience in software development or a related field
12+ years' experience operating distributed applications 24x7x365
Deep hands-on experience with designing and implementing highly available infrastructure to support global-scale services
Hands-on experience with IaaS and PaaS solutions from AWS (or similar cloud provider)
Infrastructure as code (AWS CLI, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet)
Expertise with programming and scripting (Lambda, API GW, Python, Java, Bash)
Expertise with database design for relational and non-relational data stores.
Expertise with database operations: AWS DynamoDB, AWS DocumentDB, Cassandra, MySQL, AWS Aurora, Redis, Elasticsearch
Experience mentoring and developing leads and engineers
Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
AWS Solutions Architect preferred
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.
More DevOps and Cloud position highlights
- Explore open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Explore open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Explore open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Python/Ansible Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Explore open Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Senior Quality Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Application Developer: DevOps Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer (Remote) Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Explore open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open REST-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Explore open Prometheus-related jobs
- Explore open Jira-related jobs
- Explore open S3-related jobs
- Explore open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Explore open Virtualization-related jobs
- Explore open High availability-related jobs
- Explore open VMware-related jobs
- Explore open Golang-related jobs
- Explore open EC2-related jobs
- Explore open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Explore open Redis-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs
- Explore open JS-related jobs
- Explore open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Grafana-related jobs
- Explore open Gitlab-related jobs
- Explore open Node-related jobs
- Explore open Perl-related jobs
- Explore open Web applications-related jobs
- Explore open Spark-related jobs
- Explore open Load Balancing-related jobs
- Explore open Node.js-related jobs