Boulder, Colorado, US
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries. Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
The Public Service Sector consulting practice is a trusted advisor to federal, state and local governments, partnering to meet challenges and responding quickly to citizen demands, business needs, new economic conditions, and changing legislative priorities and policies.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Senior VMware Engineer will be part of the Cloud Shared Services (CSS) program providing critical design and support for the complex virtual datacenter environments. This engineer must be able to work collaboratively with customers, application owners and other CSS teams to provide exceptional customer service. Responsibilities include:
- Performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all virtual hardware, resources, systems, and key processes
- Performing advanced troubleshooting and root cause analysis to expedite incident resolution
- Developing scripts to gain efficiencies for reporting and automating repetitive tasks
- Evaluating requests for hardware and software; research and recommend solutions that meet or exceed customer requirement
- Performing the installation, configuration and maintenance of the VMware virtual infrastructure, including, but not limited to, vCenter Server Appliance, vRealize Operations Manager (vROps), vRealize Automation (vRA), vRealize Orchestra-tor (vRO), vRealize Business, ESXi, Update Manager and NSX
- Developing VMware vCenter and vROps reports for performance, troubleshooting and capacity planning
- Developing custom blueprints and workflows using vRA and vRO to automate and simplify tasks
- Provisioning and cloning virtual machines and server appliances as needed
- Maintaining and restoring virtual machine "backups" and snapshots
- Performing upgrades and applying patches or firmware updates to the virtual infrastructure software or hardware
- Participating in the on-call support rotation, responding to support calls both during and after business hours/weekends/holidays/shutdowns
- Providing configuration management and security compliance for the virtual infrastructure software and hardware
- Developing and updating standard operating procedures and user guides
- Completing service requests or incidents tickets in support of the virtual infrastructure
- Providing technical leadership and assume overall accountability for the successful management and implementation of customer projects.
Work location - Boulder, CO (preferred), Dallas, TX, Raleigh, NC
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- CompTIA Security+
- ITIL® Intermediate Level Certification
- Experience with VMware NSX design and implementation
- Experience with implementing and providing administration for various Hyperconverged (Nutanix, Steelfusion, Hyperflex) solutions
- Certifications: VCP6-CMA, VCP6-NV e)
- Familiarity with Enterprise IT environments, tools, data management policies and architectures, and organizations.
- Familiarity with Windows, UNIX, and Linux server OS.
- Experience with ServiceNow and SolarWinds monitoring software
- Candidate must possess a US “Public Trust” clearance, Secret (or higher) clearance, or be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- VCP5 Certification or higher is highly desired
- Experience with IT service management best practices
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter business by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee’s strengths and career aspirations
Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
US Citizenship required.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.