Spacecraft Test and Automation Engineer, Dragon Controller
Cape Canaveral, FL, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SPACECRAFT TEST AND AUTOMATION ENGINEER, DRAGON CONTROLLER
Human spaceflight is inherently risky. SpaceX develops rigorous test campaigns to exercise all flight systems in order to maximize success. Dragon Controllers develop a comprehensive understanding of the vehicle systems, requiring a rare cross disciplinary perspective. As a Dragon Controller, you'll serve as the last line of defense in evaluating the flightworthiness of our Dragon spacecraft through the development, automation, and execution of test procedures to put Dragon through its final paces before flight. Your contributions will directly impact astronaut safety and enable human exploration in the final frontier.
- Lead the execution of both Cargo and Crew Dragon spacecraft testing during pre-flight processing and launch campaigns.
- Act as a Dragon vehicle controller and test conductor during Dragon integrated system tests, launch operations, and recovery operations.
- Develop automated test procedures that evaluate the flight-worthiness of the spacecraft.
- Contribute to automated test infrastructure (hardware and software) as necessary for automated test development.
- Closely collaborate with a wide range of engineering staff and highly skilled technicians on a daily basis.
- Work with Government and commercial customers on pre- and post- flight preparations for human spaceflight.
- Troubleshoot and develop long-term solution for technical problems in collaboration with Cape and larger SpaceX workforce.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, computer science, or other engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of experience in a test/automation/integration engineering role (internships and design/build/compete project teams qualify).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or technical discipline.
- Experience in control and monitoring of complex automated systems and risk assessment/reduction of the system.
- Proficiency with programming in Python.
- Competency in analog and digital circuits, fluids, statics and mechanics, sensors and instrumentation, data acquisition, and software.
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral.
- Comfortable being trained to work around hypergolic propellants (MMH and NTO) and willing to work with hazardous materials.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Occasional travel to other SpaceX sites, as needed; ~5%.
- Willingness to work outdoors.
- Schedules vary due to site operational needs – flexibility required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
More DevOps and Cloud position highlights
- Explore open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Explore open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Explore open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Explore open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Python/Ansible Jobs
- Explore open Senior Quality Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Application Developer: DevOps Jobs
- Explore open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer (Remote) Jobs
- Explore open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open REST-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open Prometheus-related jobs
- Explore open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Explore open Jira-related jobs
- Explore open S3-related jobs
- Explore open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Explore open Virtualization-related jobs
- Explore open High availability-related jobs
- Explore open VMware-related jobs
- Explore open Golang-related jobs
- Explore open EC2-related jobs
- Explore open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Explore open Redis-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs
- Explore open JS-related jobs
- Explore open Grafana-related jobs
- Explore open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Gitlab-related jobs
- Explore open Node-related jobs
- Explore open Perl-related jobs
- Explore open Web applications-related jobs
- Explore open Spark-related jobs
- Explore open Load Balancing-related jobs
- Explore open Node.js-related jobs