Senior Site Reliability Engineer
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
The Infrastructure Engineering group is central to Segment’s Platform strategy. The ecosystem of tools that your team creates and supports are the foundation for the services built by Product teams. In order to maintain our leadership position in the customer engagement space we must continue to build innovative services that support our developers in seamlessly delivering value to customers. You will partner with some of the brightest minds in the industry to push the boundaries of web-scale service delivery.
As a member of the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team, you’ll help to empower our entire R&D organization. Alongside a diverse distributed Infrastructure group you’ll participate in building the next iteration of our service platform; focusing on the reliability, operability, observability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness of our production infrastructure.
What you’ll do
- Write software to build, maintain, automate, and introspect our production systems
- Mentor teams to reliably and cost effectively operate and maintain their services
- Build the next version of Segment’s Service Platform (focused on deployment and observability) to support teams in deploying hundreds of services across a multi-region cloud environment
- Take proactive steps to improve our availability, reliability, and efficiency
- Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software like kafka-go, chamber, kubeapply, etc.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
What you’ll bring
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Software Engineer, Systems Administrator, Operations Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, or another similar role
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills, sense of ownership, and drive
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Platform (GCP)
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Node.js, Bash, or similar languages
- A proven grasp of Linux systems administration and programming concepts
We’re especially excited about candidates who:
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Have hands-on experience in operating event-based systems (e.g. Kafka) capable of processing millions of events per second and petabytes of data each month
- Possess a broad understanding of the Linux kernel internals and networking protocols
- Are proficient in metrics tooling such as Datadog and Prometheus
- Have lead teams, large projects, or been the owner of an important system
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we're committed to hiring top talent regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate you being who you are for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Tier 4 base salary range: $126,000 - 151,008
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: $96,096 - 132,132
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks