Wireless Site Reliability Engineer
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
We’re Ocado Technology. We architect and build the ground-breaking, game changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised systems.
And when we say ‘pushing the limits of what technology can do’ in the wireless team that means being at the forefront of wireless development. We may keep it quiet, but we have a number of systems that are the first of their kind and often the largest of their type.
We’re now looking for Site Reliability Engineers to join us and accelerate that development. You will be joining a multinational and dynamic Wireless team located in Hatfield (UK). Instead of us relying on product manufacturers, you’ll take responsibility for the ongoing performance of our systems and implementing improvements. This covers the full software stack, from server infrastructure running on Kubernetes down to embedded C code at the lowest levels of our wirelessly connected mobile estate. We use extensive monitoring and alerting tools to track performance and alert to us urgent issues before they impact our customers.
In this challenging role you will work across a spectrum of proprietary vendor systems and Open Source platforms ever mindful of skilling up those around you and driving knowledge sharing. Continually develop your own skills and the skills of those around you by working closely with your colleagues. Influence direction based upon the support requirements of the Operations Center of the emerging technologies that will be the production environments of Ocado’s future.
What you will do...
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the system operation, right down to the lowest levels
- Take ownership of the software stack installed upon a fleet(s) of wirelessly connected devices
- Work with stakeholders in the operation to provide clear guidance and training
- Share knowledge and up skill wider team
- Adopt a ‘continual improvement’ methodology where automation is the centre of everything we do
- Support the platform in a live enterprise environment
- Maintaining the existing codebase. Writing and maintaining code and documentation.
We're passionate about people with...
- Bachelor or Postgraduate degree in Wireless Communications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical field.
- Prior experience in a relevant role, e.g. SRE, DevOps, Systems Analyst
- Comfortable in using a range of operating systems and CLI based interfaces e.g. Linux, Unix
- Good understanding of common programming and scripting languages, e.g. Bash, C and Python
- Understanding of wireless protocol stacks including TCP/IP and OSI models
Bonus points if you have...
- Identify new approaches of problem solving and debugging skills to difficult problems
- Able to share knowledge through formal and informal means
- Familiar and comfortable with containerised hosting technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Proficient with Prometheus, Grafana and big data platforms such as Google BigQuery and Tableau
- Able to manage their own time and schedule multiple tasks against business priorities
Technologies We Use
- A Custom OFDMA IoT platform
- WiFi, RFID and Remote sensor system in the 434 and 868MHz bands
- Unix, Python, Bash and C/C++
- Prometheus and Grafana
- Git and a Continual Integration methodology
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.#LI-KM1