Technical Lead, Staff Software Engineer (L4) - Platform Infrastructure
Remote - US
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing and so is our Platform org! Platform Engineering is Twilio’s strategic investment in reliability and efficiency; We own the core compute, connectivity and software delivery systems which provide the foundation for all products at Twilio.
Twilio is looking for a Technical Lead to join us and build the future of our internal developer platform as part of our Platform Engineering team in North America. We’re busy building our next-generation platform experience at Twilio, based on Infrastructure as Code, Kubernetes, and AWS.
You’ll lead the Launchpad team, which develops the services and tools to expand and secure the foundation of our platform; vending clouds, networks, clusters and infrastructure to our internal R&D community.
Ready to make an impact? This role empowers our developers, accelerates our time to market, and fuels our long term technology strategy.
- You are a software engineering leader that is passionate, empathetic and focused on team success.
- You are able to develop a strong technical and architectural vision, and have a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute that vision.
- You have demonstrated experience mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You have ownership experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams which build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- You have experience developing, debugging and scaling distributed systems in Go or Java on Linux, and experience configuring infrastructure as code using Terraform or CloudFormation.
- You have a Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
As a Technical Lead, Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Influence your team, peers and stakeholders through crystal clear thought and communication.
- DRAW THE OWL: Continually improve our technology and our process. Rally the team around emerging needs, champion high quality engineering, be a role model for development habits, strengthen your team.
- BE AN OWNER: Own your area of Platforms; set service level objectives, lean on your foresight and experience to keep your systems reliable and efficient via measurement, analysis and testing.
- BE INCLUSIVE / EMPOWER OTHERS: Partner and collaborate with leaders across functions and boundaries in order to align your team to our product, architecture and technology roadmaps.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Exercise honesty and transparency in all your communications and interactions.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
Platform Engineering is a lever for reliability and efficiency at Twilio. Our mission is to “Make Twilio reliable for customers and efficient for engineers.” Engineering in Platform means understanding the evolving needs of today’s Twilio Engineers and delivering products that will meet their needs today as well as meet their needs over the next 3-5 years.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is a US/Remote position. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928.00 - $182,776.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312.00 - $159,929.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks