Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
Vox Media is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our team and advance our cloud platform’s monitoring, deployment, and administration capabilities for the applications that power our properties. If you’ve ever thought about how you could automate cloud infrastructure while providing self-healing capabilities then apply now!
The Senior SRE position will entail enhancing current standards and practices for development workflows, building out systems for infrastructure provisioning and management, and supporting technology teams by contributing to their product roadmaps and requirements. This team sits at the core of our engineering efforts and helps to establish the culture on how we operate our family of sites.
What you'll do:
- Promote and evangelize SRE best practices across the technology teams.
- Automate infrastructure changes in a cloud environment.
- Ensure reliability and uptime of our sites.
- Build out and maintain our cloud infrastructure.
- Improve our monitoring and observability stack with a lens of enabling developers to detect potential problems.
- Communicate out processes and best practices to developers through tutorials and documentation
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support production infrastructure.
What you'll bring:
- Professional experience as in SRE, DevOps, web development, or equivalent experience engineering and orchestrating a modern cloud environment.
- Proficiency in the following tools & concepts: Cloud orchestration and computing paradigms, containerization, Terraform, Configuration management tooling, CI/CD, DNS management, and CDNs.
- Programming skills to automate and maintain tools
- Experience building future-proofed systems with clarity and reproducibility in mind.
- Experience evaluating long-term implementation tradeoffs with consideration of both cost and maintainability.
- Excellent communication skills in a fast paced remote environment.
- Proficiency with AWS, Varnish VCL, GCP
- Experience supporting node.js applications
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and container orchestration
- Knowledge of Fargate and ECS
Are you passionate about this opportunity, but worried that you don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for? We still want to hear from you!
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.