Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About The Team:
We aim to empower teams at Planet to effectively deploy and operate their services. We manage the fleet of Kubernetes clusters at Planet, as well as a suite of cross-cutting, shared services such as our API Gateway (through which all customer traffic flows), our shared event/message bus, and GitOPs deployment tooling.
You'll be part of an organization that has fully embraced cloud technologies and Kubernetes. We operate it at scale, in production, running on thousands of nodes, with hundreds of workloads: from RESTFul web services, to machine learning, to batch workloads - in order to bring daily earth imagery and derived metadata into our customers' hands.
Our goal is to empower other engineers within the organization to bring their services to production, offering expertise and guidance throughout the delivery lifecycle: building containers, authoring kubernetes manifests, managing secrets, conducting zero-downtime upgrades, configuring routing, managing costs, and having the observability they need throughout. We operate as a distributed team that practices open and transparent communication with extensive use of modern remote-work practices.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Managing our fleet of Kubernetes clusters and continuing to orchestrate smooth updates, staying on top of new community developments, and upcoming deprecations.
- Improving cluster resource utilization and managing costs by informing and assisting service-owners in strategies for maximizing utilization without sacrificing stability.
- Participating in an on-call rotation with our other team members.
- Authoring technical design documents and architectural decision records.
- Authoring runbooks, configuring dashboards, automating alerts, and finding strategies to automate away pain.
What You Bring:
Here's a collection of some of the skills we value. Don't be discouraged if your strengths lie in particular areas more than others: that's what a team is for!
- You have expertise operating and troubleshooting Kubernetes clusters at scale.
- You have expertise with GCP and other cloud providers, including experience with terraform or similar technologies such as cloud formation.
- Someone with expertise using monitoring tools such as Prometheus.
- Someone with expertise writing Python and/or Golang.
- You have familiarity with tools such as jsonnet, kustomize, helm, flux.
- You've developed, tested, built and deployed, and scaled high-traffic services.
- You've embraced and practiced principles around the 12-factor app and four golden signals.
- You're excited about working with a distributed team and are well versed in various synchronous (Slack), asynchronous (E-mail, Jira tickets), and collaborative (Google Docs) systems.
- You have a high degree of empathy for your colleagues and an ability to remain composed under pressure.
- You've managed networking of a high traffic (thousands to tens of thousands reqs/sec) service using technologies like nginx, Envoy, or HAProxy.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600 - $211,500. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.