Senior Automation Engineer
Notable Labs is looking for a senior automation engineer (open to higher levels, principal/staff) to help us develop one of the most impactful pieces of our platform: our robotics-powered laboratory. You're a hybrid engineer that lives at the intersection of software, hardware, and the life sciences, and can use your knowledge across multiple fields to synthesize a solution to a problem. As an early engineer on a small team, you will have the opportunity to wear many hats and have an enormous impact as you develop software and integrate hardware into our robotic systems, contribute to our internal webapps, and work with our scientists in the lab with one goal in mind: supercharge the efficiency of our laboratory to find better therapeutics for cancer.
What You’ll Do
Automation engineers at Notable are hybrids that help glue multiple disciplines together. The work for this role can vary from week to week, spanning the disciplines of software, hardware, life sciences, program management; you will be coding at your desk (or your preferred environment), building things in the engineering workshop, fleshing out potential projects, and working with our scientists in the lab. A significant portion of this role (at least 50%) involves software development.
Build and Execute:
- Contribute to the development of data-rich web applications for scientists and laboratory users to visualize scientific data, talk to robots, drive laboratory workflows, organize medical knowledge, and facilitate cancer treatment discovery
- Take a complete ownership position on new automation projects, from beginning to end: requirements gathering, design, development, delivery.
- Design, build, and test hardware systems, from 3D printed components to robotic workcells
- Develop and optimize processes to automate laboratory workflows on our workcells
- Collaborate with scientists to optimize assays
- In general: work collaboratively with scientists to identify areas in our lab processes that can be automated or optimized, and figure out a way to automate them with software and/or robots
Support and Strengthen:
- Mentor other automation engineers on the team, ensuring their success.
- Coordinate cross-functional projects, taking initiative to facilitate communication across teams to clarify requirements.
- Consistently communicate across teams: ensure stakeholders are kept current on progress, manage expectations, and create an opportunity to raise issues.
- Play a significant role in reviewing work done by others: code reviews, hardware design reviews, lab protocol reviews.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing processes, and make process changes that positively affect the team.
- 3+ years of programming experience in Python, Ruby, and/or C#
- 3+ years of lab automation development experience, including automation scheduling software (e.g. Green Button Go, Cellario, Genera, Momentum), liquid handling robots (e.g. Hamilton, Tecan, Biomek), and a general understanding of automation-friendly lab equipment
- Prior experience using automation in a CLIA and/or FDA regulated product
- Experience writing software to consume APIs and/or developing apps using web frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django, Rails)
- Experience testing critical code with modern testing tools and libraries
- Experience with Unix, Git, and other command line tools
- Design with 3D CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks, Pro/ENGINEER, OnShape), and prior experience of prototyping parts (e.g. 3D printing, 80/20)
- Strong collaborative, team-player attitude: you’ll be working with scientists, handling feature requests, helping with bug reports
Nice to have
- Experience managing and/or mentoring direct reports or interns
- Experience with DevOps: you’ve deployed an app that you wrote to the cloud before, whether through AWS or another cloud provider. You may have set up a CI/CD pipeline in the past to facilitate automated testing and deployment. The word “containerization” sounds at least familiar to you.
- Fundamental mechanical engineering knowledge: you’ve studied or are familiar with some form of classical mechanics, statics, dynamics, and/or fluid mechanics
- Fundamental understanding of cell biology
- Wet lab experience, e.g. sterile technique for handling mammalian cells
- If you don’t meet some of these qualifications, no problem! What really matters is that you’re a motivated, remarkably fast learner.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to directly fight cancer, one patient at a time
- Collaboration and learning from diverse backgrounds in engineering, data science, operations, cancer biology, clinical medicine, patient advocacy, and beyond
- Work in a collaborative environment with a team dedicated to both personal and professional growth and development
- Highly competitive, early stage company compensation package
- Benefits including health insurance, 401(k), and flexible vacation policy
More About Us
Notable Labs is a precision medicine company that has a translational drug discovery platform focused on identifying therapeutic options for relapsed and refractory cancer patients. In June 2020, our team published early feasibility studies with Stanford University demonstrating 85% accuracy (Blood Advances).
We’ve developed a high throughput robotic laboratory that screens a multitude of potential therapies against a patient’s own cancer cells to help predict safer and more effective cancer treatments. Focusing on individual patients and existing treatments, we’re working to discover novel uses of drugs and defining mechanisms underlying cancer progression and drug resistance.
Our research and development platform extends our clinical research to drug discovery, testing novel compounds with primary patient samples for pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. Using our automated, high-throughput, multi-parametric drug screening research platform, industry partners can assay the biological impact of novel compounds on primary cells in a physiologically relevant environment. This helps our partners stratify patients by their predicted responsiveness, increasing the probability of successful clinical development. We are actively partnering with pharmaceutical companies that have preclinical and clinical stage drug pipelines in acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, and other hematological malignancies to profile experimental drug activity in patient samples.
Our investors include Builders Venture Capital, Founders Fund, First Round Capital, Y Combinator, several prominent angels and seed-stage funds, and Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure, a venture philanthropy firm founded by Steve Case. We have offices and a laboratory in Foster City, in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Notable Labs we value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
More DevOps and Cloud position highlights
- Explore open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Explore open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Explore open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Explore open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Python/Ansible Jobs
- Explore open Senior Quality Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Application Developer: DevOps Jobs
- Explore open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer (Remote) Jobs
- Explore open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open REST-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open Prometheus-related jobs
- Explore open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Explore open Jira-related jobs
- Explore open S3-related jobs
- Explore open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Explore open Virtualization-related jobs
- Explore open High availability-related jobs
- Explore open VMware-related jobs
- Explore open Golang-related jobs
- Explore open EC2-related jobs
- Explore open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Explore open Redis-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs
- Explore open JS-related jobs
- Explore open Grafana-related jobs
- Explore open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Gitlab-related jobs
- Explore open Node-related jobs
- Explore open Perl-related jobs
- Explore open Web applications-related jobs
- Explore open Spark-related jobs
- Explore open Load Balancing-related jobs
- Explore open Node.js-related jobs