Engineering Manager, Data Pipeline Infrastructure
About The Role & Team
Amplitude’s mission is to be the operating system for digital business. At its core, Amplitude provides a new window into digital customer behavior that helps businesses answer the question: “Where do we place our digital bets to maximize growth?” We approach challenges with humility, we take ownership of our contributions, and our growth mindset pushes us to constantly improve ourselves, each other, and the value we bring to customers and partners.
Amplitude’s infrastructure teams are responsible for both data ingestion and our proprietary query engine. Data pipeline team is responsible for ingestion the current stream of 1.5M to 1.8M API Calls and events per second, while our query engine handles searches over 5 PB of data. The data pipeline team has a constant mission to discover bottlenecks and replace them with the improved new version. Our challenge is we have these upgrades with minimal to zero ingestion downtime.
As a manager of this data pipeline team, you should be very hands on building and improving highly distributed, scalable and reliable software systems. If you are someone who is passionate about backend engineering, building highly scalable services, have a high sense of ownership, and love to have impact by managing a growing impactful team, we would love to talk to you.
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- Lead and support the infrastructure engineering team, helping to take the ideas from initial phases to implementation.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, customer support and sales to build a cohesive strategy for our data ingestion pipeline.
- Earn the trust of your team, and challenge them to grow.
- Lead engineering discussions and mentor others on technical implementation, engineering best practices, and career development.
You'll be a great addition to the team if you:
- Have hands-on experience with basic distributed tools such as Kafka, Redis, and/or DyanmoDB.
- Believe that great engineering management starts with building trust and empathy, and ultimately succeeds by being able to challenge your team's growth and excel.
- Believe it’s important for engineering managers to stay close to technical problems and continue to contribute independently, as time allows.
- Have worked in an engineering management or technical leadership role before. Experience mentoring and coaching engineers at all levels.
- Come from a strong technical background and have delivered high quality work in a senior engineering position.
- Are able to seek out world class engineers, and successfully recruit them to join your cause.
- Consistently make culture choices that positively impact the broader engineering team.
- Operate well in the unknown, and enjoy crafting strategy and vision for an evolving team.
- Believe that strong alignment around vision leads to a better product and better outcomes.
- Enjoy working with a world class engineering team, and being given the opportunity to learn and grow.
Who We Are
The Company: Amplitude is filled with humble, life-long learners who are eager to help one another and the company succeed. Our values of growth mindset, ownership, and humility are core to the way we work: we’re tenacious in the face of challenges, we take the initiative to solve problems that drive our shared success, and we operate from a place of empathy and openness, seeking to understand many points of view.
We care about the well-being of our team: along with excellent health insurance, we offer flexible time off, a monthly wellness stipend, a 12-week parental leave, a generous Learning & Development stipend, and a full 10 year window to exercise your stock options. And when our offices are open, we offer delicious in-office lunch, dinner, & snacks, and commuting benefits.
The Product: Amplitude is a product intelligence platform– we help companies understand their users, rapidly release better product experiences, and grow their business. We’re super proud of what we’ve built and continue to build on: a platform that enables companies to thrive.
Amplitude powers digital upstarts like Calm and Peloton and technology leaders like Microsoft and Paypal, but also 100+ year old companies like Ford, as they rethink their digital revenue strategy.
Other fun facts about Amplitude:
- Amplitude is a tech startup to bet your career on in 2021, according to Business Insider.
- Amplitude had a record year of growth in 2020 and grew employee headcount by 24%.
- Amplitude is one of the best software products on the market according to G2.
- Founded in 2012, Amplitude is backed by Sequoia Capital, IVP, Battery Ventures, Benchmark Capital, Y Combinator and other top tier investors.
- More than 20% of the Fortune 100 are customers of Amplitude as are innovative brands such as Calm, Microsoft, Ford, NBC Universal, Hubspot, PayPal and Peloton.
- We have offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, Amsterdam, London, Paris and Singapore.
- Our mascot is the datamonster, who loves to chow down on numbers, charts, and graphs. Nom nom.
Amplitude’s D&I Commitment: Amplitude believes that diversity enables the creation of better products, the ability to solve complex problems, and drive more powerful solutions. In order to make diversity possible, we commit to striving to create an environment of inclusion: an environment focused on psychological safety, empathy, and human connection, which will allow employees of all backgrounds to feel the care they need to thrive.
Amplitude provides equal employment opportunities (EEO). All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.