Lab Automation Engineer, Research Team
San Francisco, California, United States
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae’s Research Team needs a Lab Automation Engineer to help us achieve our mission. The Research Team is a cross-functional group of AI engineers and scientists, software engineers, bioinformaticians, and assay development scientists that collaborate with Product, Development, Operations, and Laboratory organizations to drive decision-making and data-driven product development at Invitae. The team leads high-risk/high-impact projects, engages in internal and external collaborations, regularly partners with our executive team, and develops key strategic frameworks for all business areas.
Our team is expanding rapidly and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
We are looking for someone that has an “anything is possible” mindset, balanced by a keen attention to laboratory details. You work efficiently and obsess about making your product better for internal users, our customers, and patients. You understand experimental design and quantitative analysis. You want to develop a broad understanding of different automation technologies used in genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics. You want to make a difference by improving global health care and are motivated to make it happen. You are collaborative and enjoy working with a strong interdisciplinary team. Once you’re up to speed, you are expected to work independently to deliver robust & reproducible results.
What you’ll do:
- Run and help scale wet-lab experiments using automation, starting with a variety of industry standard software and equipment
- Pilot cutting-edge technologies in collaboration with a highly cross-functional team
- Create custom software solutions to integrate off the shelf schedulers with Invitae’s software ecosystem
- Design and build custom hardware to enhance our lab automation capabilities
- Set design principles and define shared patterns that engineers leverage across the company
- Write structured, testable, readable, and maintainable code
- Generate reproducible data to a high technical standard and perform preliminary data quality assessment
- Support your teammates by continuing to learn and grow in an environment where failure is a part of learning, and being a novice is celebrated
- Play a key role in innovating and scaling Invitae’s capabilities as we move toward our goal of making affordable and comprehensive genetic/multi-omic testing a reality
What you bring:
- Multiple years of experience using industry standard liquid handlers such as Agilent Bravo, Hamilton STAR and STARlet, Dynamic Devices Lynx, etc.
- Fluent in at least one of the following: VWorks, Venus/Instinct, MethodManager, GreenButtonGo/Overlord, FluentControl/Freedom EVOware
- A demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and new programming languages
- Strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong quantitative, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- A desire to operate with freedom and accountability. A willingness to take risks and ownership of those risks.
- Preferred: Experience with distributed, remote teams
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider employment for qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.