Senior DevOps Engineer
OUR CUSTOMERS DEVELOP SOFTWARE AT THE SPEED OF IDEAS
CloudBees, the enterprise software delivery company, provides the industry’s leading DevOps technology platform. CloudBees enables developers to focus on what they do best: Build stuff that matters while providing peace of mind to management with powerful risk mitigation, compliance, and governance tools. Used by many of the Fortune 100, CloudBees is helping thousands of companies harness the power of continuous everything and gets them on the fastest path from a great idea, to great software, to amazing customer experiences, to being a business that changes lives.
Backed by Matrix Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Verizon Ventures, Delta-v Capital, Golub Capital, and Unusual Ventures, CloudBees was founded in 2010 by former JBoss CTO Sacha Labourey and an elite team of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps professionals.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the CloudBees team. That’s because thousands of development and deployment teams around the world are using CloudBees products that enhance and optimize the way their teams build and deliver software using continuous delivery.
To support the delivery of CloudBees products (both internal and external), CloudBees has an Operations team that designs, deploys, secures and manages a variety of software systems and the related GCP / AWS infrastructure that underpins these software engineering objectives.
The Operations team guiding principle is simple - “Make Engineering Faster”.
Underpinning this are the challenges of security, process change, technical change that all must be met to varying degrees.
Further, we are passionate about reducing the manual work that plagues IT teams - Engineering / Ops / Support / Security - and are empowered to re-engineer processes (more easily said than done) and technology to achieve those objectives.
Our preferred candidate will be located in a European time zone to provide the best working hour coverage for our Engineering and Operational workloads. Please visit our website for a list of our approved hiring locations https://www.cloudbees.com/careers.What you’ll be doing
Team-building - inside the team and across teams - you’ll be proposing new ideas and helping implement them
Thinking - coming up with new ways of solving problems - and working with the team to prove them out and then implement them
Documenting - describing problems, how your proposed solution solves those problems, and how your implemented solutions are operated.
Optimizing - working with Engineering teams to optimize their build systems - even our monster jobs (lots of parallelism - lots of bottlenecks - lots of technical challenges)
Defining - writing / modifying Terraform to handle our infrastructure, and helping teams define their infrastructure using our modules.
Coding - you’ll be writing code in Golang - we occasionally write glue in Python / Groovy (but not very often)
- working with our security team to drive operational change in engineering teams - “Supply Chain Integrity” - you’ve heard about it - it’s the new hot topic
- working with our security team to drive organizational security changes (logging, auditing, monitoring, alerting)
Observing - adding the right monitoring so that we are alerted before our customers notice, and not alerted when the system is able to heal itself
Alerting - getting alerts and working with team members to solve the initial problem, documenting the problem and then working out how to stop them happening again
DevOps / DevSecOps - We’re not “DevOps” engineers, but we do help our teams become more proficient in doing Dev and Ops (and embracing Total Ownership). We build the guard rails to help them do it safely and align tech-stacks across the company.What you’ll bring to the team
- New ideas from where you’ve worked in the past - what worked well, what didn’t work, what CloudBees could do better?
- “the knack” - an uncanny ability to uncover the root cause of problems based on limited information because “it feels like something you’ve seen before”
- The courage to say - “I’m not sure” - and getting feedback from your colleagues on how to complete a task in our tech-stack
- No fear of saying - “Have you considered doing it this way” - and giving constructive feedback to colleagues on alternative ways of doing things
- Corporate tools - GSuite, GitHub, Jira, Confluence, Slack
- Operations tools - PagerDuty, DataDog
- Language tools - Golang
- Engineering tools - Jenkins, Vault, CodeShip, Auth0
- Platform tools - Kubernetes, terraform, helm, docker
- IaaS - GCP, AWS, a little Azure
There are a lot more tools - you should ask during your interview!How you’ll be part of the team
- self-motivated and enjoy solving problems
- excited by the opportunity to automate yourself out of recurring work
- able to keep tickets up to date, so we don’t need too many status meetings (we’re async first due to our distributed nature)
- You will liaise directly with the software engineers across all teams, ensuring that decisions are agreed internally and externally to Operations and that they meet our technical and non-technical objectives.
You have experience in:
- programming in various languages and domains
- the modern Ops stack (e.g. monitoring, alerting, cloud-based provisioning, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Linux systems administration
- cloud-based operations (GCP, AWS, or Azure)
- cluster orchestration and management tools (e.g. k8s / ECS / Terraform / etc)
- continuous integration / continuous delivery tools (Jenkins / CodeShip etc)
- modern software engineering practices: code reviews, unit / acceptance testing, source control, etc.
- You work in a geographically distributed team (APAC, US, EMEA) of peers
- You choose your own work in tandem with the team, team-leader, and manager
- You report directly to the Operations Manager (who reports to the VP of Engineering)
- Your working hours are flexible - while there will be some core hours required for meeting with Engineering and Operations teams - much latitude is given in getting work done. This includes determining your own start and finish times to accommodate family life.
- Travel is limited (especially at the moment) - but once things return to normal (whatever that looks like) we’ll have an annual offsite somewhere on the planet
We prefer to avoid out-of-working-hours on-call where possible (and are geographically distributed to achieve this), however it is expected that you will be willing to respond to alerts out of hours on a best-effort basis. You don’t take your laptop anywhere unless you want to.
Work hours on-call is just known as “work” - if it blows up - you fix it or find someone who can fix it.
Engineering teams operate under a “Total Ownership” model - they own their entire stack and are empowered to fix it. They occasionally need help out of hours, and we provide best-effort support.
As an example -
- No one has been woken up for an outage in over 8 years
- There hasn’t been a weekend outage in the last 6 months
- We have had to triage security vulnerability reports (on weekends), but those have not required work beyond the initial fault analysis.
- There are occasional false-positives - that are easily silenced - and then resolved at a system level during normal working hours.
We have a culture of movers and shakers and are leading the way for everyone else with a vision to transform the industry. We are authentic in who we are. We believe in our abilities and strengths to change the world for the better. Being inclusive and working together is at the heart of everything we do. We are naturally curious. We ask the right questions, challenge what can be done differently and come up with intelligent solutions to the problems we find. If that’s you, get ready to bee impactful and join the hive.
At CloudBees, we truly believe that the more diverse we are, the better we serve our customers. A global community like Jenkins demands a global focus from CloudBees. Organizations with greater diversity—gender, racial, ethnic, and global—are stronger partners to their customers. Whether by creating more innovative products, or better understanding our worldwide customers, or establishing a stronger cross-section of cultural leadership skills, diversity strengthens all aspects of the CloudBees organization.
In the technology industry, diversity creates a competitive advantage. CloudBees customers demand technologies from us that solve their software development, and therefore their business problems, so that they can better serve their own customers. CloudBees attributes much of its success to its worldwide workforce and commitment to global diversity, which opens our proprietary software to innovative ideas from anywhere. Along the way, we have witnessed firsthand how employees, partners, and customers with diverse perspectives and experiences contribute to creative problem solving and better solutions for our customers and their business.
More DevOps and Cloud position highlights
- Explore open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Explore open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Explore open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Python/Ansible Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Explore open Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Senior Quality Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Application Developer: DevOps Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer (Remote) Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Explore open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open REST-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Explore open Prometheus-related jobs
- Explore open Jira-related jobs
- Explore open S3-related jobs
- Explore open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Explore open Virtualization-related jobs
- Explore open High availability-related jobs
- Explore open VMware-related jobs
- Explore open Golang-related jobs
- Explore open EC2-related jobs
- Explore open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Explore open Redis-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs
- Explore open JS-related jobs
- Explore open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Grafana-related jobs
- Explore open Gitlab-related jobs
- Explore open Node-related jobs
- Explore open Perl-related jobs
- Explore open Web applications-related jobs
- Explore open Spark-related jobs
- Explore open Load Balancing-related jobs
- Explore open Node.js-related jobs