Infrastructure Automation Engineer
Wayfair.com is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. By using technology and data to create a best-in-class experience for our customers, it gives us a competitive advantage in the global homegoods market!
The Infrastructure Platforms team is building Wayfair’s own private cloud through software automation and abstractions built atop our collocated datacenters. Our infrastructure footprint extends into the public cloud and we have standardized on Hashicorp’s Terraform as the tool to describe our environment through code, so now we only have to enable our self-hosted systems to change and scale automatically the way environments like Google Cloud Platform can do.
Wayfair is looking to onboard a talented engineer to help automate our on-prem infrastructure, by maintaining existing and creating new tools to continue to drive transformation. You will work closely with our infrastructure engineering groups to layer software automation onto their systems in ways easily consumed by our >2000 software engineers. Extensive experience in software development, DevOps concepts, and solving technical problems at the human level is paramount to success as we grow and scale.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with teams that manage Server, Storage, Networking and Data Center infrastructure to define the capability gaps that software can fill, and guide the architecture of those solutions
- Act as a player-coach for your team. Mentor and share knowledge with less experienced members of the team
- Help to grow the global production infrastructure that underpins our e-commerce platform
- Build, develop and maintain custom storage management automation, monitoring and reporting tools
- Troubleshoot, resolve, and assist in complex server, storage and network related issues through code
- Participate in automation initiatives that interface with our server & networking frameworks
- Communicate with internal and external parties to refine requests and create a design/plan to address the true goal (which is not necessarily the same as the request)
- Take complex projects and break them down into smaller delegate-able piece
- Interact with large-scale infrastructure system APIs or extension platforms from vendors like Dell EMC, VMware, Cisco, and others.
What You’ll Need:
- 5+ years software experience in an open- or closed-source situation; large scale software systems experience is a true advantage
- A belief that technology problems cannot be solved in a vacuum, and an impetus to establish and leverage relationships to deliver excellent results.
- The ability to entice others into taking action. You are comfortable speaking to peers of varying levels of experience to build consensus and earn their commitment to making big changes.
- An understanding that today’s best practices eventually become tomorrow’s bad habits. Always challenging your own personal tools to find better / more efficient ways of getting things done.
- Understanding of data service technologies (data dev refresh, snapshot, replication, copy data management)
- Ability to work through ambiguity to discover the true driving factors and make design decisions
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to script in GO is not required but a plus
- Infrastructure background preferred but not required
- Familiarity with Puppet, Chef or comparable automation tools strongly preferred
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.