Infrastructure Engineer, RDP
Reporting and Analytics is focused on winning the finance user for Stripe. We build products and infrastructure that help users ingest, understand, optimize, analyze and report on the performance of their business for standard financial operations as well as future performance modeling. We create and operate infrastructure and develop frameworks that make it easy for developers at Stripe to build reporting into their products.
- Build real time data pipelines and systems across Stripe's engineering teams.
- Work with product, design and engineering across the company to build new products or features at large-scale.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy building backend data services. Experience with Spark, Flink, Kafka, Presto is valuable, but experience in other similar frameworks is also great.
- Are excited about working on large real time systems that support critical customer paths. Our infrastructure is responsible for customers tracking how all their money flows and making critical decisions based on it. Accuracy, quality and uptime are paramount.
- Think about data systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Scala and Ruby. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Want to be involved in all aspects of the product. While we are engineers, we are deeply engaged in product design and strategy, communicating with our customers, marketing and sales.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that's different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It's not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers' needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn't work on financial systems before joining Stripe.
What's it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry -- from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We're here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity -- which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We're a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.