As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
We are seeking a DevOps engineer to join our Developer Experience team.
About this Role:
As an engineer on the DevEx team, you are responsible for maintaining and building the internal tools that power the development, test, and sandbox environments. As part of this role, you are encouraged to research and test modern infrastructures to improve developers’ workflows, while collaborating with the many other teams that service VoxMedia. In addition to these duties, you handle developer’s support requests, and thus face a lot of context switching. Sometimes we know the answers, other times we don’t, and that’s okay. We expect you to collaborate with coworkers to the best of your ability and to maintain a curious disposition. Bonus points if you can laugh at yourself.
What You’ll Do:
- Build internal tools that assist the company’s engineers in their workflows leading up to the point of merging & deploying their code
- Provide support for engineers on the tooling we provide for development, testing, and general automation, including:
- writing skeleton code and configuration templates
- writing and updating documentation
- making yourself available to engineers to troubleshoot issues
- Take part in our weekly on-call rotation, where you will respond to alerts in the case of a service’s outage
What You’ll Bring:
- Familiar with, or eagerness to learn about, automation tooling like Github Actions
- Experienced with how language frameworks, release, and use dependencies such as node modules or Ruby gems
- Excited about the potential of cloud computing platforms (bonus: experience with administration on AWS, Google Cloud, or similar)
- Are ready to work online with a fully remote team
- Have a history of working across teams, regularly reaching out to and/or fielding requests from people you don't already know
- A self-starter, willing to take on challenges that will improve your users’ experience
- Are ready to teach and communicate to people the “why” behind technical decisions
- Have empathy for your users and teammates
For more on the things we're building, the problems we're solving, and what it's like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
Are you passionate about this opportunity, but worried that you don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for? We still want to hear from you!
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.