Director of Data Infrastructure
San Francisco, CA
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect a thriving community of over 100,000 brands and local retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with these big box and ecommerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement.
The Data Infrastructure team is the backbone of all data-related processes at Faire. Work from the data infra team not only enables our data scientists and machine learning engineers to develop and deploy a wide variety of algorithms and models that power Faire’s online marketplaces, but also empowers a variety of teams across the company to conduct high quality analytics, reporting, experimentation and research.
We are looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven leader to lead our Data Infrastructure team to help us scale to the next level. As a director reporting directly to the Head of Data, you will have significant purview and influence on the evolution of Faire’s streaming and batch data systems. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data science and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a team of engineers to develop and automate large scale, high-performance data storage and processing systems, as well as our experimentation and machine learning infrastructure to help us scale for where we’re going over the next several years.
- Develop technical strategy and processes to manage our ever-expanding data infrastructure and ETL pipelines.
- Build and nurture a highly-engaged team by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Work with data and engineering leadership to set both the long-term vision and near-term roadmap for the data infra team.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Set standards and implement solutions for infrastructure reliability, security, and scalability as well as data quality; lead data best practices broadly across the company.
What it takes:
- 5+ years industry experience in data/software engineering.
- 3+ years experience directly managing data engineering or software engineering teams who support scalable production systems.
- Experience building/maintaining ETL pipelines and leading medium/large scale data infra projects.
- Familiar with modern data technologies/stack such as Airflow, Kubeflow, Redshift, Snowflake, SQL, AWS, Docker, BigQuery, Python, Git, etc.; experience with DBT a plus.
- Experience in machine learning workload and AI powered products a plus.
- Experience developing data science platforms such as experimentation and machine learning platforms a big plus.
- Excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges, and then building them.
- Passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but love to code when the opportunity arises.
- Passionate to keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups a plus.
Why you’ll love working at Faire:
- We are entrepreneurs: We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using tech and machine learning to level the playing field: We are using the power of technology and data to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 100,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: We always find a way to get the job done and come up with creative solutions to whatever problems are standing in our way. People at Faire are insatiably curious. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making and reason from a first principles mindset.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Salt Lake City. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
More DevOps and Cloud position highlights
- Explore open Data Platform Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Staff, Product Manager - Global Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Manager of DevOps & Engineering Infrastructure Jobs
- Explore open Linux Infrastructure Developer Jobs
- Explore open Principal Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Senior Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Infrastructure Engineer Jobs
- Explore open IT DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Cloud Architect Jobs
- Explore open Staff DevOps Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Sr Software engineer (Infrastructure) Jobs
- Explore open Senior Security Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Raleigh Hub Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect - VMware Specialist Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer - Python/Ansible Jobs
- Explore open Senior Quality Automation Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Application Developer: DevOps Jobs
- Explore open Senior DevOps Engineer - Pleasanton Hub Jobs
- Explore open DevOps Engineer (Remote) Jobs
- Explore open Cloud DevOps Systems Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security Jobs
- Explore open REST-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open Prometheus-related jobs
- Explore open CloudFormation-related jobs
- Explore open Jira-related jobs
- Explore open S3-related jobs
- Explore open Elasticsearch-related jobs
- Explore open Virtualization-related jobs
- Explore open High availability-related jobs
- Explore open VMware-related jobs
- Explore open Golang-related jobs
- Explore open EC2-related jobs
- Explore open Reliability engineering-related jobs
- Explore open Redis-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs
- Explore open JS-related jobs
- Explore open Grafana-related jobs
- Explore open PostgreSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Gitlab-related jobs
- Explore open Node-related jobs
- Explore open Perl-related jobs
- Explore open Web applications-related jobs
- Explore open Spark-related jobs
- Explore open Load Balancing-related jobs
- Explore open Node.js-related jobs