Vehicle Software Automation Engineer (Starship)
Brownsville, TX or Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
VEHICLE SOFTWARE AUTOMATION ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The Starship vehicle software automation team is dedicated to writing vehicle control software and unit tests, designing ground and flight test operations, and supporting Starship operations in South Texas. Team members will have the experience of working with all disciplines at SpaceX, including launch, structures, propulsion, avionics, and guidance, navigation, and control, and will be responsible for writing the automation that makes Starship fly. Team members will lead the way in translating operational design and requirements into the code that flies the most powerful rocket in the history of humankind.
- Design state machines and write vehicle control software that command Starship during ground and flight test operations
- Develop unit and regression tests in Python to support robust, reliable coding practices
- Support development of vehicle software simulation tools and hardware-in-the-loop test environments
- Write test plans and procedures to perform both sub-scale and vehicle-level development testing
- Develop high-level systems expertise to coordinate software automation goals across departments and support a simplified yet robust automation design strategy that supports rapid test and flight cadence
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, computer science, math, or physics
- 2+ years of professional, internship, or project experience in software development
- Experience with Python or other scripting language
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in high pressure fluid system design and operation or aircraft/automotive test environments
- Experience in industrial automation and test
- Proficiency in reading plumbing and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, and thermodynamics
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment while assuming high levels of responsibility and demonstrating accountability for vehicle test outcomes
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and ability to succinctly present recommendations to stakeholders, management, and executive staff
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with technicians, other engineers, and managers
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Willing to support 25% travel time between Hawthorne, CA and Brownsville, TX
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.