Software Development Manager, Payments Infrastructure
Burnaby, BC, Canada, Calgary, AB, Canada, Ottawa, Remote, Toronto, ON, Canada
We’re looking for a Software Development Manager to join our rapidly growing engineering team. This role is for someone who is passionate about building innovative solutions and being exposed to new challenges and technologies while making an impact. This role is available to candidates across Canada, excluding Quebec.
What your team does:
This new team will help develop the future of payments in the legal industry. Our customers are going through a seismic shift in how they service their clients and the expectations around their relationship and behaviours. Expectations around their payments experience is not an exception. Legal has been slow to adopt electronic payments, but the last few years have seen a dramatic tipping point and rapid adoption. We want to ensure our customers and their clients can benefit from best-in-class user experiences with payments. We’re looking for someone who can help with the execution of Clio’s payment products and also navigate the complexity of building a robust system from scratch.
What you’ll work on:
- Merging and deploying a pull request that you opened earlier and had the team review
- Working with your team on preparing an architecture document for an upcoming project
- Having a 1:1 meeting with your direct reports to make sure they are supported in their career growth and development goals
- Working with the developers on your team to break down a project into deliverable chunks of work
- Reviewing code contributed by members from your team or other Clio developers reaching out to you for your experience with a given technology or pattern
- Giving great feedback on code reviews, architecture documents, and more to help support team members making great technical decisions for their projects
- Contributing to or even driving larger changes to processes and workflows within the development organization
- Communicating and coordinating with our systems engineering and product teams to share new changes rolling out as well as gather insights into what struggles they’re having that we can deliver code to help with
What you may have:
- Demonstrated success in people leadership in software development, particularly with large scale SaaS products;
- Possess a diverse base of knowledge that allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems;
- Curious and have a drive to explore different approaches when solving problems;
- Able to describe successful projects you worked on, as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects; and
- Have a demonstrated ability or desire to learn how to hire the best and brightest engineers in a competitive job market—and to coach, develop, and retain engineering talent.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- A philosophy on what makes for great software development teams;
- Ideas on how to successfully scale and grow a development organization; and
- Have a background in hands-on software development using Ruby and Ruby on Rails, specifically with building web applications at scale.
We are an award-winning team that is both human and high performing–and are setting new standards for what it means to be a tech company. Clio has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Most Admired Cultures and has topped Fast Company’s list of Most Innovative Companies.
Our team shows up as their authentic selves, and are united by our mission. We are dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion and believe that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and better innovation.
At Clio, we pride ourselves in enabling our teams to do the best work of their careers and are committed to providing the tools and infrastructure needed, wherever you choose to log in from.
Learn more about our culture and benefits at clio.com/careers
At Clio, we are on a mission to transform the legal experience for all. As the world's leading provider of cloud-based legal software, we provide lawyers with low-barrier, affordable solutions to manage and grow their firms more effectively, more profitably, and with better client experiences. Through the cloud, we believe that we can help create a more inclusive legal community and a more equitable legal system.
In line with our mission, we’ve been up to some big things, including becoming a multi-product company, launching a $1 million COVID-19 Legal Relief Initiative, and most recently, securing a US$110M Series E funding round which came with a US$1.6B valuation.
This is a historic moment in the growth of legal technology and trust us, you want to be a part of this! As the first legal practice management unicorn globally, and one of only a handful of Canadian unicorns, this is only the beginning. If you’ve ever wanted to do the best work of your career, while having a meaningful impact in the lives of others, then Clio is the place for you.