Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Remote in North America
We're looking for an Engineering Manager, SRE to lead a growing engineering team at Zapier. Here you will direct the team and improve service reliability by using a software engineering approach to operations. Using site reliability principles and a robust approach to observability, you will seek out and resolve the root causes of issues that impact millions of users.
This position works closely with other teams in our Production Engineering Zone to provide tools that help all of Zapier engineering. You will interact with every engineering team in the organization. Maintaining excellent relationships and communicating effectively with those teams regularly is key to success. Our Site Reliability Engineers are all over the world, with follow-the-sun coverage. This team often works asynchronously with a bias to action. Trust and leadership are a big part of this role.
Interested in helping build the systems and platforms that power engineering and automation for millions of professionals? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first leadership role and you've been in a direct leadership role for at least 2 years. You know how to hire, train, and develop Site Reliability Engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive SRE team. You value teamwork and believe in helping others feel safe so they can grow and develop. You help engineers get better at what they do and you don’t need to be in the same room to help them succeed.
You have a background in Site Reliability Engineering. You’re comfortable talking about SLOs, incident management, and building a culture of reliability. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems and are eager to make improvements for them. You seek to reduce toil and understand what it means to take a software engineering approach to operations.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and manage multiple projects. We're a small but growing team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for functional projects and make sure the engineers on your team solve issues that matter -- making development even easier, building a culture of reliability, and delivering outstanding service to our customers.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders, balancing engineering concerns (such as technical debt) with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions. As a leader in Site Reliability, you understand how impactful the work you and your team will do, and how it affects the entire organization.
You are a skilled engineer. You have at least 7 years of experience in engineering. You've got a background and familiarity working in our stack (Kubernetes, Python, AWS). Even if you aren't a daily coder, you have the background to coach your team as they make technical decisions. In this role, it is important to understand the technologies and key concepts in delivering software as a service.
You're adaptable. You've been in fast-growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll probably do:
- Work closely with engineering peers to provide high-quality, reliable, and performant production software.
- Advance Site Reliability Engineering as a practice across Engineering.
- Drive process for incident management and on-call response.
- Work within an Agile framework to provide the common infrastructure and developer infrastructure that enables Zapier engineering.
- Execute and deliver on the strategic vision of Production Engineering by identifying and delivering relevant backlog items.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-ones and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of your Engineering Team (and beyond!) Support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
We're currently hiring for the following locations:
- North America
Our team of 400+ is distributed (remote) because it lets us work with the best people. We have team members that live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! While we can hire many roles in locations anywhere in the world, some require specific timezone fits.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.