Software Engineer, Infrastructure: Developer Productivity
New York, New York, United States
Our goal is to make healthcare simple, transparent, and human. In Engineering, we do that by building reliable and maintainable applications, infrastructure, and interfaces that make interacting with the health care system easier for everyone -- members, providers, and (yes!) ourselves.
As an Oscar Engineer, you’ll be joining a tight knit, passionate team. We take pride in our ability to move quickly (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), and our willingness to tackle big problems (frequency === everyday).
- Application Performance Monitoring: Track performance metrics across all our applications and alert owners on errors and SLO violations and let them follow traces between applications in our microservice environment.
- Build, CI, and CD: Solving the problem of efficiently testing changes to our monorepo and deploying interdependent services to our cluster.
- Developer Experience: Provide the command line tools to use the above systems
What we’re doing:
The following is a list of projects our teams are currently working on:
- Developing a robust continuous deployment solution that lets engineers deploy confidently without missing dependencies
- Adopt and integrate better tooling, such as OpenTelemetry, and to provide cutting edge observability to our microservices
- Reimagine how engineers work with Oscar code with a new developer environment and build and test tools
You at Oscar:
You should be excited about writing software that is primarily consumed by other software engineers. You’re probably a good fit if you:
- have 2+ years of software engineering experience
- feel comfortable reading the source when you encounter issues in someone else’s code
- take the time to either figure out the right ways to use the tool or dive in and fix it yourself if there is a bug
- have opinions on best practices and coworkers look to you help define them in your organization
- enjoy mentoring and sharing knowledge
- have built something from scratch. Even if it didn’t gain traction, you know how to build software starting with a blank text editor.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is a key ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds and levels of experience welcome.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.