Site Reliability Engineer SRE
At Talkdesk, we are disruptive risk-takers, don't have a traditional way of doing things, and will do whatever it takes to build a product that improves customer experiences. Join the adventure and grow with us. With $268 million in funding and more than 1,800 customers, we’re revolutionizing the industry of contact centers. Join a hyper-growth company that's innovative, bold, and ambitious. Be a part of the future of technology and make an impact on an evolving industry. If you're a self-starter and hungry to learn, apply now and enjoy the ride.
Our Engineering team follows a micro-service architecture approach to build the next generation of Talkdesk, with vertical teams responsible for all the decisions under their services. Through our Agile Coaches, we promote agile and collaborative practices, we are huge fans of Scrum, pair programming and we won’t let a single line of code reach production without peer code reviews. We strongly believe that the only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position and we always treat others with respect, deference and patience.
We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) who can help us design, build, and maintain high-performance, scalable, and reliable services. As Talkdesk provides a Contact Center service, we play a very critical role in our Customer’s business operations and therefore need to provide a highly available and fault tolerant service.
As an SRE at Talkdesk you will build, run, and maintain components that serve as the infrastructure foundation for the rest of Talkdesk, with the objective of having the least manual intervention possible, while also ensuring high availability and reliability of those components. You will also partner with other product engineering teams to help make their services more performant, scalable, observable and reliable. We believe in a DevOps philosophy where every engineering team at Talkdesk should be responsible for the software they build and deploy and SREs play a critical role in ensuring that the teams have the tools, practices, and expertise to make that happen in a blame free culture.
- Design, build, harden, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Talkdesk’s engineering teams
- Automate every aspect of our infrastructure to remove as much as possible any human intervention
- Help keep existing base infrastructure running smoothly
- Develop effective tooling, alerts, and response to both identify and address reliability risks
- Drive and promote protocols on production readiness and operational excellence
- Participate in on-call rotation alongside other engineering teams (opt-in)
- Partner with product engineering teams to debug production outages and carry out action items to improve reliability of those systems
- Participate in design reviews and production reviews for new features, products, or pieces of infrastructure
- Plan for growth of Talkdesk’s infrastructure
- Understanding of the importance of observability, and have good intuitions about what to measure and how
- Know your way around a Linux/Unix system
- Experience with Terraform and Packer
- Ability to identify time consuming and error prone manual tasks and then build tooling to automate them
- Understand large-scale complex systems from a reliability perspective
- Ability to identify root causes of instability in a large-scale distributed system, across stacks
- Hold yourself and others around you to higher stands when working with production
- Bringing a developer mindset and applying it to infrastructure
- You value simplicity
Nice to haves / Pluses:
- Experience with cloud-based solutions such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with technologies such as Docker, Consul, Vault, Jenkins, Concourse, Prometheus, Nexus
- Experience with PaaS-like solutions such as Heroku, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Mesos, or OpenStack
- Experience with messaging systems such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Operational knowledge with various data stores such as MongoDB, Postgres, Redis, Cassandra, Elasticsearch
- Experience with configuration management software such as Ansible or Chef
- Experience with a programming language such as Ruby, Elixir/Erlang, Go, or any JVM-based language
- Experience with designing and operating IP networks