Database Reliability Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Database Reliability Engineer.
The right candidate for this role will have substantial experience managing MySQL servers in production environments and be familiar with administering the servers, building replicas, and configuring and testing backups, as well as with improving database performance by doing database tuning and query optimization. We want you to be more than a traditional DBA, though! You should have some experience writing code in Python or some other high-level language, as well as experience with infrastructure as code and configuration management systems.
What you will do:
- Work on improving database reliability and performance within the SRE team
- Work with peer SREs and software engineers to roll out changes to our production environment and help mitigate database-related production incidents
- Provide database expertise to engineering teams (reviews of database migrations & queries and query & performance optimizations)
- Design, build and maintain core database infrastructure
- Work on automation of database infrastructure
- Support and debug database production issues across services
Skills and experience you possess:
- Have at least 3 years of experience running MySQL in large production environments
- Have at least 2 years of experience with infrastructure automation and configuration management (Ansible, Terraform, or similar)
- Have at least 3 years of experience with any object-oriented programming language in a software engineering or adjacent role
- Have experience with Python web frameworks and strong programming skills
- Have solid understanding of SQL
- Have solid understanding of MySQL operation (replication, log management, etc) and internals (storage engine tuning, indexes, concurrency control, etc)
Projects you may work on:
- Improve our non-production environment database creation pipeline
- Create a performance benchmarking plan to inform database performance improvements
- Revamp our schema change review and testing system
- Automate temporal access granting for databases
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?