System Test and Automation Engineer II
Palo Alto, CA - USA
Skylo Technologies is developing the most affordable and accessible wireless network to mobilize the world’s machine data. A spin-out from the Stanford Space Systems Laboratory, Skylo is commercializing very low cost satellite gateways and a highly efficient satellite network protocol that is 1 to 2 orders of magnitude less expensive than traditional satellite communications. Skylo’s network will form the core connectivity fabric for billions of machines and sensors across the globe. Backed by SoftBank, Innovation Endeavors, DCM, and Boeing, Skylo’s global team includes professionals with deep experience in wireless networks and hardware, satellite technology, and applied IoT data services. Skylo's network is operational in California and India in preparation for a global launch in 2020.
Skylo is hiring a System Test and Automation Engineer to implement a robust automated test and QA environment and process to ensure that our end-to-end system exceeds customer expectations with every release. The System Test and Automation Engineer will join our System Test team and play a leading role in all aspects of system verification (hardware, software and firmware) of a carrier-class wireless network, low-cost terminal device and data analytics platform to support the next generation of machine & sensor data mobility. This individual will leverage a strong background in wireless telecommunications, SaaS testing and test automation. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a passion for quality and a minute attention to detail who is interested in participating in building a verification platform from the ground up, and seeing their work have global impact across industries.
- Work closely with the hardware, firmware, LTE base station/core, network and platform engineering teams and system engineering team to execute system acceptance testing that will verify end-to-end functionality prior to each release of the Skylo NB-IoT system. The process may start with a combination of automated and manual testing but must rapidly progress toward fully automated regression testing.
- Execute system level functional and regression testing on the products and services released periodically.
- Familiarize with internal testing tools, including a combination of off-the-shelf tools and in-house developments, provide timely feedback to improve the functional process between multi-disciplinary teams.
- Execute test plans and procedures which, in conjunction with sub-system testing, will validate the full functionality of the Skylo NB-IoT system against our established Product Requirements Documentation.
- Execute keywords driven automation tests using one or more frameworks Robot, NUnit, xUnit.net, PyUnit / unittest, Junit, Test::Unit., RSpec
- Execute test automation scripts using Java, Python, Go or Ruby.
- Quickly identify and characterize system functional issues , bugs and work with engineering to prioritize and validate fixes.
- Document all the aspects of different phases of testing and results including system release versions, demo, lab, PoC ,production network deployments
- Proven ability to independently own a complete area of technology and drive product quality working with cross-functional teams
- Attention to the smallest details that are significant to customers
- Work closely with the product teams, which include Product Managers, Business Owners, Engineering and Development teams. Ensure that applications are thoroughly tested and determine if they are ready to be released to production.
- Great opportunity to be part of a challenging domain where you get to apply the latest technologies to make people’s lives better. Be part of an environment where good culture comes first, there is flexibility and work-life balance, and opportunity to work along smart people.
- In-depth understanding of testing and test automation methodologies through all phases of the product, firmware and software development life cycles, and across all components of the system (mobile app, embedded RTOS-based hub, cellular protocols, and cloud-based platform web GUI)
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience with a variety of testing and test automation tools,be an overall champ!
- Hands-on relying upon diagnostics, analytics, lab/field experimentations as well as code/architecture review to exploit the opportunities for improvement and work multi- functionally with platform architecture, standardization, firmware/protocol development, system test
- Technical understanding of telecommunications systems, especially cellular systems ( LTE eNB, EPC, and associated LTE/NB-IOT protocols), ability to learn quickly and establish credibility with engineers
- Ability to script and/or program in either Bash, Python, Go, Ruby on a Unix/Linux platform, using GIT for source control is a must.
- Experience with SAAS, DevOps tools, processes, and culture will be added advantage
- Exposure to USRP, RasPi, SDR & open-source tool sets will be desirable
- Ability to roll up your sleeves and get things done - you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field. CS/EE background is preferred
- 3-5 years of industry experience in System Verification, Software Test Automation, Quality Assurance or similar position
- Proven track record of thriving in a fast-paced, rapidly growing and evolving startup environment
- Highly collaborative, with superior communication and leadership skills, comfortable building and working with teams from diverse backgrounds