Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Pittsburgh, PA or Palo Alto, CA or Remote
Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
Argo AI Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for building and running our mission-critical systems. Through the implementation of monitoring and automation, our SREs constantly ensure the health, reliability, scalability, and performance of Argo AI’s infrastructure. The Site Reliability team works together with engineering teams, IT, and Security to address unique business challenges through comprehensive solutions while taking into account system uptime, reliability, and maintainability. Members of the team are expected to promote the importance of resiliency patterns to other teams within Argo AI, as well as contribute to a culture of continuous learning.
This position can be based in Palo Alto, Pittsburgh, or for the right applicant remote within the US.
What you’ll do:
- Build and lead a geographically distributed team of site reliability engineers
- Partner with internal customers to monitor and maintain mission-critical production services to ensure maximum uptime and reliability
- Facilitate the upward reporting of reliability status to engineering leads and leadership
- Plan and manage sprints, quarterly objectives, and the long-term team roadmap
- Design and implement scalable distributed systems to facilitate the development of self-driving vehicles
- Scale the reliability and velocity of our systems and processes through increased automation
- Participate in an on-call rotation and culture of continuous improvement through blameless postmortems
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Experience building and leading a diverse team of engineers
- Expertise in at least one scripting language (e.g. Bash, Python)
- Fundamental understanding of Linux operating system internals, TCP/IP networking, and storage subsystems
- Strong experience scaling and securing services in the cloud (AWS, GCP) or cloud native environments
- Experience using infrastructure-as-code principles to automate the creation of infrastructure resources (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Understanding of engineering design limitations and ability to provide guidance to teams to scale their services to achieve desired performance within budget
- Experience implementing and debugging cloud native and open source tools such as Kubernetes, etcd, Prometheus, FluentD and Istio
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a diverse and distributed team
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.