Software Engineer, Build Infrastructure
Palo Alto, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
Build Infrastructure's charter is to support and assist Level 5 developers in producing high-quality code, testing it with fast feedback, and deploying it to vehicles. To accomplish this, Build Infrastructure provides CI pipelines, build workers, a remote cache to accelerate builds, a high-scale artifact store, and build analytics services to measure build performance. We also coordinate with the rest of the org to spearhead large-scale developer workflow improvements and upgrades: operating system upgrades, dev environment improvements, build system upgrades (we use Bazel!), and large-scale refactorings to improve performance and maintainability of the code. We work closely with runtime, platform, simulation, and autonomy teams to achieve these goals, so if you're looking for a broad array of ways to make a huge impact to accelerate development of self-driving vehicles, Build Infrastructure is a great place to contribute!Responsibilities:
- Identify and lead internal and cross-team projects end-to-end with a keen eye for simplicity, reliability, and low-friction developer experience
- Improve the functionality, performance, and reliability of core Build Infrastructure services including CI queues, artifact store, remote cache, and build analytics
- Feature and app development to streamline developer workflows, spanning on-premise workstations, cloud workstations, CI queues, and backend services
- Educate developers and evangelize best practices during development, deployment, and test
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience
- Strong knowledge of Software Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals. It usually comes with a degree in Computer Science, but doesn’t have to
- Significant experience deploying and scaling applications on a public cloud like AWS or GCP
- Strong working knowledge of Linux operating systems, including shell, package management, and containerization
- Build Infra writes code spanning bash shell scripts to Python and Go applications
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse range of talented engineers
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.