Engineering Manager, Production Infrastructure Security
We are looking for an engineering manager to lead our Production Infrastructure Security team. You will partner with the rest of our Infrastructure organization to build technology that enables teams to build more secure infrastructure that meaningfully mitigates risks. Example past priorities include secret management, identity and access management, configuration management, and vulnerability management.
About the Team:
Airbnb is built on trust. The Information Security team plays a critical role in maintaining and building our community’s trust in our platform that enables millions of users to explore the world and belong anywhere.
The Production Infrastructure Security team focuses on enabling the rest of engineering to achieve and maintain baseline security standards within our infrastructure (application/product security is owned by a separate team). Our responsibility is to make the easiest path the most secure path for engineers through investment in technology. We invest heavily in engineering solutions that simplify security through automation whenever possible to significantly reduce risk.
- People Development: You have multiple years of experience in people management. You are an effective career coach and can provide mentorship and feedback. You enjoy investing in your teammates and developing career progression plans with them, helping them reach their highest potential.
- Team Development: You are an effective leader that focuses on efficiency and delivering on expectations. You play an active role in identifying and recruiting junior and senior candidates. You understand when to get your hands dirty and contribute and when to delegate and grow your teammates.
- Technical Leadership: You have experience in developing and communicating strategies that team(s) execute on. You don’t wait for things to happen to you, you make things happen. You have multiple years of experience improving security in a fast-moving environment where engineers have a lot of autonomy.
- Influence & Communication: You have strong written and verbal communication skills. You can dive into the details with engineers but also speak at the appropriate altitude when working with other organizations and leaders. You have empathy and seek to understand when communicating. This enables you to effectively identify the best path forward and influence how you approach a problem, as well as how other teams may prioritize supporting your work.
The following are skills and experiences that are relevant to us:
- Experience with AWS (Lambda, Kinesis, S3, SNS, SQS, EC2, ...)
- Experience in Software development (Kotlin, Java, …)
- Experience with Kubernetes or similar
- Understanding of cloud security risks and security best practices in a production environment
- Familiar with threat modeling, encryption, network defenses, web security, ...
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on technical management experience
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications. Experience building and leading platforms is a plus.
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction.
- Experience with effectively creating alignments with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.