Site Reliability Engineer - Kafka Team
San Francisco, CA
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio's Kafka Data Pipeline Team is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our team. The team runs hundreds of Kafka brokers spread across multiple clusters, environments and regions and is an integral component to many of Twilio’s core products.
We’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to help us scale and provide rock-solid service on our critical data infrastructure and up level the ecosystem of how Twilio thinks about reliability and availability at large.
Your experience includes:
- Expert UNIX / Linux skills - you live in the terminal and can't wait to get SSH access to investigate root cause, we weep at the beauty of your bash-fu
- Experience operating and tuning Apache Kafka clusters, or other open source data technologies such as Elasticsearch or Spark
- Load testing, performance analysis, and chaos engineering of distributed systems
- Own and operate production services in AWS cloud infrastructure using tools like Datadog and Rollbar
- Competence in a scripting language used to automate away the pain of operational burden
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science related field is a minimum requirement.
- Bonus: you have informed opinions on configuration management (Chef, Ansible) and container deployments (Docker, Kubernetes)
In this role, you will:
- DRAW THE OWL: Lead the operations and deployment of multiple Kafka clusters, implement SRE best practices
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive resilience and quality by executing load, performance, and chaos analysis in a continuous delivery environment
- WRITE IT DOWN: Break down requirements, estimate tasks to ensure high quality deliverables
- BE AN OWNER: Support development operations, building, releasing and assisting with team on-call. Teams will be small and empowered so that you can move fast and ship to production multiple times in a 2 week sprint.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with other Twilio engineering teams and work cross-functionally for product launches.
Twilio’s Data Platform processes billions of records per day and operates at the petabyte scale. Our engineers deal with a wide variety of data technologies, distributed systems, and design considerations to provide data as a platform to the rest of Twilio Engineering.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. The Engineering team plays an integral role in building out the products that allow our developer community to meet their communication needs.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.