VMware Systems Engineer
Hawthorne, CA, United States
Posted 1 month ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
VMWARE SYSTEMS ENGINEER
SpaceX is looking for a systems engineer with deep knowledge and broad experience across VMware based technologies. This employee will be a member of the Information Technology Cloud Infrastructure team and will support the many internal cloud services here. The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment. He or she should be a self-starter, self-motivated, and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
- Work closely with other SpaceX engineers to plan, deploy, and support the VMware platform and related technologies in a world-class environment that meets the needs of the demanding SpaceX engineering teams.
- Manage our many large VMware clusters (capacity planning, upgrade, patching)
- Exercise a high degree of responsibility for the processes, systems, and tools you create and manage - all supporting the goal of making humanity an interplanetary species.
- Make recommendations, justify, and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology.
- Work within a diverse group to design and deliver creative solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner by interacting with internal business units.
- Define, document and follow standards and best practices for systems design, testing, and implementation.
- Drive scripting and automation to develop solutions to common problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, physics, information systems, or similar technical discipline + 3 years of systems engineering experience; OR 5+ years of systems engineering experience without a degree
- Experience with VMware stack (esxi 6.x / autodeploy / hostprofile)
- Experience with data storage protocol including NFS and ISCSI
- Experience with Powershell and/or Python with a focus on automation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with VMware cluster management at scale, using automation and repeatable processes
- Working knowledge of Esxi (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage, and troubleshoot)
- Experience with HP Hardware and troubleshooting
- Basic understanding of drs, ha, evc mode
- Understanding of source code and version control tools such as Git
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible), provisioning, infrastructure as code (Terraform), and other DevOps concepts and tools (Vagrant, Docker, Kubernetes a plus)
- Networking experience in IPv4, switching, routing
- Must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with internal/external customers, vendors, management etc. in both formal and informal situations.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.