Staff Software Developer, Software Infrastructure (Remote Option)
We are currently seeking a Staff Software Developer to join one of our BEI teams. This role can be performed from one of our Canadian offices, remotely across Canada, or a combination of both. Some exemptions may apply.
What your team does:
The Backend Infrastructure team at Clio is focused on the scalability, developer experience, and approachability of our Ruby codebases. Some of the things this team works on are large architectural changes, developer tooling, and all the ins and outs of developing our systems and reworking the codebase to support our 100+ developer organization.
Why does this matter? Clio developers deploy code 40+ times per day; we want every single one of those deploys to be as impactful as possible, and we serve that goal by making sure that our systems and tooling are up to the challenge and developers are able to focus on their work, not cognitive overhead.
A day in the life might look like:
- Working with a team of developers to solve complex problems and provide elegant solutions to Clio customers;
- Working in an agile development environment;
- Using a wide variety of technologies, learning new things, and challenging yourself;
- Participating in diverse projects and collaborating with multiple engineering teams across three countries;
- Reviewing code and having your code reviewed; mentoring and being mentored by other Clio developers. Thrive as #TeamClio.
- Doing the best work of your life, enjoying collaborating with your coworkers,
- Playing a role in transforming the practice of law, for good.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- 7+ years experience in software development, specifically with building web applications at scale and Ruby on Rails;
- The ability to master new technologies quickly and work effectively in a dynamic and ever-evolving environment that includes distributed teams and customers;
- Demonstrated success in mentorship in software development, particularly using an Agile process and with large scale SaaS products;
- A diverse base of knowledge that allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems;
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects); and
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build trusted relationships with fellow Clions and customers.
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a Distributed by Design workplace, which means a workplace that is built around you. This means that Clio offers employees the opportunity to work from one of our offices or in a distributed manner across Canada. At Clio, distributed working has been built into our culture from day one, with teams (and, at times, founders) distributed across provinces and time zones. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology and culture to ensure our team members are set up to succeed no matter where they live in Canada. We want all team members to feel like they're able to do their best work here, and we're committed to supporting that whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.
At Clio, we’re more than just a tech company. We’re transforming the practice of law in a permanent and meaningful way that’s bettering the lives of legal professionals while increasing access to justice for all.
We are high achievers who are setting new standards for what it means to be a tech company. In the past three years, we’ve launched a new interface and experience of our software, acquired our first company, launched a second product, secured the largest Series D in Canadian history at the time, and launched a $1 million dollar relief fund to help legal professionals navigate the challenges of COVID-19 (just to name a few).
We are dedicated to creating diverse teams and inclusive workplaces. We know that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and innovation. We believe you do your best work when you can show up as your authentic self—and that’s a key part of our culture.
At Clio, you have the chance to not only do the best work of your career but work that is putting Canada on the global stage. We know our technology changes lives and we’re committed to making an impact. If that’s something that speaks to you—you belong here, too. Join us.
Learn more about our culture and benefits at clio.com/careers