Senior Engineering Manager - Cloud Infrastructure
Palo Alto, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
Cloud infrastructure is at the heart of developing self-driving cars: machine learning, simulation, data collection, and software delivery needs provide unprecedented demand on networking, storage, orchestration, provisioning, and observability. Making our base infrastructure invisible yet ubiquitous will be the charter of your team. You will tackle infrastructure challenges that have not been solved elsewhere.Responsibilities:
- Own the long term technical vision and roadmap for our public and private cloud across multiple cloud providers, global regions, and physical data centers
- Drive engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs, and evangelizing best DevOps, SRE, and production engineering practices
- Manage and grow multiple sub-teams within the AV Infrastructure organization. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team processes, and work with the team leads to plan and achieve Objectives & Key Results
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members, including other managers and senior individual contributors
- Be a strong voice across all of the Level 5 engineering constantly uplifting engineering culture and improving engineering processes of the larger organization
- Grow the team by working with recruiting to identify and hire excellent and diverse engineering and leadership talent
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Diverse experience, ranging from high reliability production environment to fast paced research type projects. Track record of growing the latter into former over time
- Technical expertise with cloud providers, infrastructure as code, networking, data centers, and infrastructure security
- Experience with modern cloud infrastructure systems. We use Kubernetes, Spinnaker, Terraform, AWS, GCP, Stackdriver, etc. We do not expect you to know them all, but would like for you to be familiar with some
- Able to motivate, instill a strong sense of ownership, and build a culture of accountability in your team
- Openness to new or different ideas and ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on fundamental qualities, supporting data, and business goals
- 6+ years of people management experience. Track record of building teams, growing the next set of leaders, and managing managers
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.