Sr. Test Automation Engineer (Starlink)
Remote - Austin, TX
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. TEST AUTOMATION ENGINEER (STARLINK)
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. Starlink is now delivering initial beta service and accepting pre-orders both domestically and internationally, and will continue expansion to near global coverage of the populated world in 2021.
To keep up with global demand, SpaceX is breaking ground on a new, state of the art manufacturing facility in Austin, TX. The Test Automation Engineer will play a key role as we strive to manufacture millions of consumer facing devices that we ship directly to customers (Starlink dishes, Wi-Fi routers, mounting hardware, etc.) Specifically, they will be responsible for the development and execution of software and hardware solutions that automate testing strategies for physical sensors such as pressure, acceleration, strain, and temperature. They have the final say before a Starlink Kit is shipped for delivery, ultimately ensuring that our customers receive best in class products.
- Specify and/or design full test hardware setups using combination of COTs and custom hardware
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation code in Python and similar languages for manufacturing and engineering design verification
- Develop data analysis tools to track and report trends in key parameters and interpret failures
- Work closely with manufacturing and tooling engineers to implement COTS and custom test hardware
- Work closely with design engineers and manufacturing engineers to gather requirements and ensure a testable product is being developed. Make recommendations for design, process improvements, and data collection
- Provide training and technical support, and incorporate feedback from test operators
- Triage and root-cause test failures
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physics, or computer science discipline
- 7+ years experience developing application, test, or automation solutions
- 7+ years experience with new product development or factory production
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive knowledge of factory instrumentation and data acquisition tools, including load cells, control actuators, range sensors, machine vision
- Experience in development test software, automation, manufacturing, or embedded electronics with preference for experience in Python, Linux, BASH, C/C++, and common markup languages
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, RAID, VLANs, basic network security
- Experience writing SQL queries
- Experience working with high-volume electronics manufacturing
- Experience automating processes and testing to improve manufacturing yields and reduce production time
- Experience with RF test equipment including WiFi, Ku, Bluetooth, and GPS
- Extensive knowledge with a range of digital and analog interfaces including GPIB, USB, VISA, TCP/IP, VLAN, CAN bus, SPI, I2C, analog-to-digital conversion
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.