Site Reliability Engineer
New York, New York, United States
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Engineering team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
Oscar's business depends on trust. From forging relationships with our members through our Concierge teams to storing their Protected Health Information (PHI) in secure databases, a trust chain weaves through all that we do at Oscar. The Site Reliability Engineering team at Oscar is one of the links in this chain; the infrastructural and platform layer decisions that we make impact the availability and security of our services, and affect all interactions with members and providers.
As an Oscar SRE, you’ll join a diverse and passionate team of builders and operators. We take pride in our ability to operate complex machinery and resolve incidents with a cool demeanor. You will help architect the systems from the ground up that are driving a new type of insurance company and ensure our site and important services are always available.
You will report into our Director of Infrastructure.
What we’re actually doing:
The following is a list of daily tasks we are responsible for:
- Evaluate and help resolve a variety of requests coming from our organization.
- Guide teams with a focus on automation, maintainability, and security.
- Monitor availability, latency and overall system health.
- Contribute to capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and systems tuning.
- Improve and keep documentation updated.
- Help overall knowledge sharing across Oscar.
You at Oscar
- You have 2+ years of professional experience in Site Reliability, DevOps, or Software Engineering
- Experience with troubleshooting in Unix/Linux
- Programming skills (Bash, Go, Python)
- Experience with AWS, infrastructure, cloud native software design, and backend systems
- Experience working with Kubernetes, Aurora, and other container orchestration systems
- You care about operations and automation.
- You can balance company needs with tech needs.
- You’re passionate about technologies, whether it be a new shiny new thing or an arcane, ill-conceived protocol; our company may be new, but the healthcare industry isn’t!
- You maintain calm while troubleshooting production issues.
We believe diversity is an essential ingredient in building something great.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.