Senior Staff Engineer: Platform Engineering
New York, New York, United States
Oscar’s platform engineering teams are building the foundational blocks of the health insurance stack. They manage systems that include Oscar’s provider data pipeline, claims processing engine, and utilization management platform. Together, these teams manage rich ecosystems of data, provide well-designed APIs, and build performant services in order to power innovative and elegant solutions for Oscar’s members, providers, and internal users.
As a senior staff engineer, you will play a hands-on role in designing our architecture and scaling our systems as we are building the next-generation insurance platform. You’ll serve as a technical expert in your respective product domains, services, and data pipelines and you’ll collaborate with product managers and business stakeholders. You’ll also mentor engineers to uplevel our technical practices to improve stability, performance, and scalability of our platform.
You will report to the Senior Director of Engineering in the NYC office.
- Be hands-on and bias towards action.
- Raise the bar for the technical practices and systems on your teams.
- Lead the design, architecture, and execution of complex technical projects.
- Identify improvements that will increase our stack’s reliability, performance, simplicity, and extensibility.
- Be versatile to jump across system boundaries and into our infrastructure to identify and solve problems.
- Coach engineers on the team to improve technology and apply best practices.
- Work with stakeholders, product managers, and designers to solve challenging problems.
- Implement step-wise technical migrations of our existing services and applications.
- You have 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, working with a variety of backend and data-intensive systems, and have increasingly impactful technical accomplishments.
- You have expertise in working with RDBMS databases (PostgreSQL), stream-processing (Kafka), message queues (SQS), RPC frameworks (gRPC), distributed tracers, time-series metrics (Prometheus), debuggers, and profilers. As a bonus, you are an expert in Python and Go.
- You care about what you do and you are excited by Oscar’s mission.
- You are hands-on and love continuously improving the systems you work on.
- You have experience proposing, experimenting, and iterating, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isn’t!
- You have experience with technical contributions, improving the quality of what you create, and are excited to build fault-tolerant, and scalable software systems.
- You are unfazed by ambiguity and bring clarity to nebulous problems.
- You are empathetic, thoughtful, and data informed in your approach to solutions.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.