Senior Software Engineering Manager - Azure DevOps Platform
Remote - US / Canada
Posted 4 months ago
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join the Azure DevOps Platform team.
The Azure DevOps Platform team is responsible for the platform and the infrastructure that powers Azure DevOps services. As a team, we are committed to solving the interesting engineering challenges related to running services with high availability & scale while also enabling our engineering teams to run their services efficiently.
In this role, you will be having the opportunity to work as an engineering manager with a distributed, diverse, and passionate team delivering the platform and the infrastructure that millions of developers depend on. You will be responsible for providing technical leadership in the solutions your team builds and help your team grow in their careers through feedback and coaching. You will also be involved in the design, rollout, and support of a highly performant, highly scalable and highly available infrastructure with your team and product managers.
Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality
- Ensure the team ships products, features and bug fixes regularly
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of your team and those around you
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- 3+ or more years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services
- 4+ or more years of experience developing production software using C/C++, C#, dotnet core, Ruby, Go or an equivalent language
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Solid understanding of testing principles and high quality software
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Familiarity with DevOps best practices such as understanding of continuous integration & deployment as well as the ability to gather, analyze, debug and fix problems that occur with live production systems
- Experience with SQL, general database knowledge.
- Understanding of production system monitoring & observability is necessary.
- Troubleshooting skills across network, application, caching, queuing, load-balancing, storage and distributed services layers.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a software team
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.