Big Data Site Reliability Engineer
San Francisco (CA), Shawnee (KS) or Remote (US)
RiskIQ is the world leader in Attack Surface Management, providing the most comprehensive discovery, intelligence, and mitigation of threats associated with an organization’s digital presence. With more than 80 percent of attacks originating outside the firewall, RiskIQ allows enterprises to gain unified insight and control over web, social, and mobile exposures. Trusted by thousands of security analysts, RiskIQ’s platform combines advanced internet data reconnaissance and analytics to expedite investigations, understand digital attack surfaces, assess risk, and take action to protect business, brand, and customers. Based in San Francisco, the company is backed by Summit Partners, Battery Ventures, Georgian Partners, and MassMutual Ventures.
We are looking for a Big Data Site Reliability Engineer to join our team in San Francisco, Kansas City, or elsewhere in Central - Pacific time zones.
As RiskIQ’s Big Data Site Reliability Engineer you will be responsible for the availability and performance of our multi-petabyte storage infrastructure. You’ll work closely with our CTO, architects, and data engineers to ensure that our most critical infrastructure is available to power our customers’ security needs. The successful candidate will be data driven and quality focused. They will have a strong internal drive and demonstrate initiative. They will also collaborate well in our team, leveraging a “blameless” approach to improvement.
Your responsibilities will include
- Ownership of our Hadoop (MapR) cluster
- Ownership of our HBase infrastructure
- Maintaining the stability and availability of our big data systems
- Daily verification / validation of system performance
- Delivery of additional big data functionality aligned with our technical roadmap
- On-call responsibilities as part of our 24/7 rotation
- Process improvements, leveraging techniques like RCAs
- 10+ years of backend/systems software engineering experience, with specific experience in some of the following areas:
- Backend services
- Distributed systems
- Data processing
- Java, JVM, and code optimization
- System optimization using metrics, monitoring, and/or logging
- Strong development skills in Java
- Strong software engineering background, with an emphasis on at least one of the following:
- Data processing
- Database or file storage
- Numerical and/or statistical analysis
- High-degree of comfort with Linux and command-line tools
- Hadoop experience
- Problem solving and debugging / troubleshooting, especially
- Open source software
- Network / distributed systems issues
- Difficult data quality challenges
- Background supporting critical platforms, services, and/or data sets
- Experience implementing quality- and stability-oriented systems, ideally as the system designer.
- Interest or experience in systems administration, cybersecurity, information security, application security, or network engineering
Why work at RiskIQ?
- Fascinating work - Welcome to the dark underbelly of the Internet. We detect, expose, and investigate malware, exploit kits, botnets, affiliate fraud, advertising fraud, and illicit mobile apps, and much more. It is the golden age of internet crime, and we are at the forefront of defensive efforts to stem the tide. Internet security is a global growth industry, and the knowledge you acquire here will be a marketable skill for decades to come.
- We’re a company on the forefront of a burgeoning industry - We've recently celebrated several new milestones headlined by 80% year-over-year growth revenue growth, the closing of $30.5 million in Series C funding, and recognition by Forrester in its Forrester Wave™: Digital Risk Monitoring, Q3 2016 report, which named RiskIQ a leader.
- Top Leadership - Our CEO is a renown cybersecurity veteran known for his expertise. Our leadership group is poised and experienced with a track record in technology and cyber security.
- Unbounded opportunity - We are small, but we’re growing. At RiskIQ, you’ll be provided with as much responsibility as you can handle—new career development opportunities constantly arise given our rate of growth Want to design a new data center from the ground up? Architect a big data backend to increase our storage and analysis capabilities? These challenges are yours for the taking if you prove you're capable.
- Flexibility - You’ll have a large workload, but also the freedom to accomplish it on your own terms. RiskIQ has unlimited PTO and flexible hours.