Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ1466
Location: Calgary, AB
Apply by: Friday March 5th, 2021
# Positions available: 1
Leader Name: Katie Peperkorn
Reporting to the Managing Director Brightside Technology, you will be responsible for leading the DevOps team in the practice of Site Reliability Engineering. This role will involve the ownership of the AWS Cloud infrastructure, monitoring, and performance of the existing platforms. This role is a key member of the Brightside Technical Leadership Team and will be responsible for supporting the technology strategy and roadmap.
You will lead a small team that combines software and systems engineering to build and run scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant systems deployed to AWS. With a keen eye on operational efficiency you will aim to limit time spent on operational tasks, automating wherever possible; proactively identifying potential outages and, continually iterating to make improvements. Integral to this role is the ability to enable development teams to deploy faster, and leveraging failures as learning opportunities in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
Your team supports enhancements and new features through an iterative Agile planning cycle from ideation through to deploying into a live production environment. This includes system design and architecture, scalability considerations, and thought leadership working collaboratively with all teams to ensure the best end to end solutions for Brightside at large are being considered. Once those improvements are deployed, your team will monitor and measure availability, latency and overall system health with a focus on safe, secure and reliable operations.
From bringing together software and engineering systems, to engaging with all levels of the broader organization, influencing technology-focused discussions, thought leadership, and a forward thinking mindset, you are an integral component in the entire technical ecosystem.
Responsible for leading and directing the Site Reliability Engineering team.
- Be a driver and influencer for the overall technology direction of the organization in concert with key strategic partners such as Architecture and Development. Contributing to the Technology Roadmap with a lens on not only near term goals and objectives, but also a forward thinking mindset identifying future opportunities that we may wish to explore. I.e. Open banking
- Drive self service tooling and advocate for infrastructure as code through the use of programming languages such as Python, and Terraform
- As the leader of the SRE team you will be responsible for the AWS cloud infrastructure used to support Brightside
- Provide thought leadership, and provide technical expertise within the areas of Site Reliability Engineering
- Lead the definition, implementation, and organizational awareness of the practice of DevOps/SRE. Champion SRE practices including security, reliability, automation, and scalability.
- Development, maintenance, and support of platforms enabling developer use of systems and infrastructure
- Own the CI/CD pipeline from stem to stern. Driving efficiencies and improvements across all teams
- Own the monitoring, reliability, performance, and security of critical services. Including proactively monitoring, addressing performance, stability, maintenance, quality and driving issues and escalations to resolution.
- You have a deep understanding of business value and the experience we are driving to deliver
- Identify automation and process re-engineering opportunities to improve operational efficiency and capacity.
- Aligns operational processes to enable effective delivery of technical assistance
- Actively involved in platform automation and orchestration, both from a technical and process standpoint
- Continuously monitoring the cost effectiveness of the platform, and effective management of the overall SRE budget.
- Builds high-performing, motivated, highly engaged teams, including coaching, mentoring , career guidance, performance management and development planning.
- Work collaboratively within the Brightside team as well as the Enterprise to ensure there is an awareness of strategic direction, and key initiatives that may be underway across ATB
- Engages appropriate partners (internal and external) to resolve operational issues
- Bachelor's degree in math, engineering, computer science or equivalent
- Experience with DevOps best practices including continuous monitoring, test automation design and CI/CD pipeline building
- Passionate technologist, who proactively keeps updated with upcoming trends in DevOps and technology / fintechs at large
- Strong interpersonal skills, including effective communication both verbal and written
- Learning oriented mindset with the belief that there is always room to grow and improve
- Proactively engaging with the tech community, actively building talent pipelines, attracting and retaining top talent
- Business problem solving - implementing processes that reduce or remove obstacles that are preventing you or others from accomplishing operational and strategic business goals
- Technical analysis - Translating functional requirements into technical specifications describing infrastructure needs, applications, systems, interfaces and technologies.
- Additional applications lifecycle skills including application maintenance and monitoring and functional analysis
- Demonstrable experience with critical thinking, problem solving and systems thinking
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!