Software Engineer (DevOps / Release Engineer) - Takealot
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for highly talented Software Engineer (DevOps / Release Engineer) to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
The position reports to the Engineering Team Lead (Release)
At Takealot, our Release Engineering team is responsible for the systems and platforms related to Developer Experience. The team supports the developers along the development lifecycle - helping to build and support systems such as local environments, developer tooling, test frameworks, and automation supporting CI/CD. All of this is to support the engineering team, helping them to move faster, safer.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Architect and implement in the CI/CD space to drive safe deployments with velocity
- Provision, deploy, and operate systems managed by the team
- Drive tooling, culture, and automation to reduce friction for the Engineering team
- Design, develop and maintain internal libraries, tooling and systems
- Work across multiple technologies such as Kubernetes, Cloud, and Databases
- Support the engineering team, and engage with them on their experience
- Be on-call for the systems managed by release engineering
- Is passionate about technology, keeping up to date with the industry, always learning
- Is a team player, an active listener, and is able to communicate well
- Is solutions oriented, and can break down complex problems
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making
Qualifications and experience:
- Has either a degree in computer science, or equivalent industry experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience
- Have experience with build and deploy systems (Gitlab, Jenkins, Spinnaker, etc.)
- Have experience with Kubernetes (running an application, using helm, etc.)
- Deep understanding of Linux and/or Networking
- Can write code (we use Python mostly, also some GroovyLang)
- Has experience developing services and/or applications
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference