Senior Reliability Engineering Manager
Redmond, Washington, USA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
The Senior Engineering Reliability Manager will proactively drive the design for reliability for Kuiper hardware systems. This role has responsibility for developing and leading the reliability process, and staffing a team to deliver on program reliability objectives. This role will require interfacing closely with subsystem teams, provide technical input and guidance on designs, and support as needed with detailed analysis and test capabilities.
The candidate will have experience in using Physics-of-Failure based approach to develop and implement both analytical and empirical approaches for product quality/reliability risk identification and assessment during product design, manufacturing, testing and deployment stages. The individual should be able to drive Project Kuiper’s requirements in carrying out stress driven risk analysis, including thermal, electrical and mechanical stresses in order to identify overstress and fatigue-related product weaknesses. This individual is capable of evaluating not only product design quality/reliability risks, but also has the skills and experiences in assessing electronics manufacture process related quality/reliability issues.
At the component level, the individual will drive critical component identification and the associated vendor selection and qualification requirements. The candidate will be expected to use knowledge of process capability for PCBAs and electronic component production as well as system-level performance requirements to establish critical quality and reliability metrics.
At the system level, the reliability team will develop system level reliability models and related reliability assessments and risk analyses for spacecraft optimization. The candidate will be expected to be familiar with system reliability engineering tools, such as reliability block diagram, Markov model, statistical modeling and data analytics.
Responsibilities · Build a center of excellence for reliability analysis and test for Kuiper hardware design.
· Staff and lead a team of reliability subject matter experts in design, analysis and test.
· Develop system level reliability model and establish reliability allocations across vehicle subsystems to meet reliability targets.
· Review, guide, support subsystem teams FMECAs, predictive modelling techniques, and test plans.
· Establish test capabilities, and failure analysis as needed.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Advanced degree (MS / PhD) in Reliability Engineering, Physics or related fields, or equivalent experience.
· 7+ years of experience in building and leading reliability and analysis teams.
· 7+ years of experience with state of art PCBAs and electronics component packaging.
· 7+ years of experience with failure analysis activities and root cause analysis.
· 7+ years of experience with accelerated life testing (ALT, ESS, HALT/HASS).
Preferred Qualifications· Experienced with design for reliability in space environments.
· Experience with full range of environmental stress testing, fatigue testing, vibration and shock testing, electrical stress testing, ESD testing.
· Experienced with space hardware qualification (MIL Std 1540 / SMC-S-016).
· Extensively experienced with off the shelf and custom component and board level reliability prediction and correlation with test data.
· Experienced with custom component package development, qualification and deployment into the field.
· Experience with failure analysis techniques: Electrical debug, Cross sectioning, dye and pry and microscopy.
· Experienced with reliability assessment and test for long duration ‘moving mechanical assemblies’ in harsh (space) environments.
· Experience with software and programing: Ansys Mechanical, Sherlock Automated Design Analysis and Python.
· Excellent communication and leadership skills.
· PhD in reliability engineering or relevant field.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Job tags: Python Reliability engineering
Job region(s): North America