Staff Operations and Reliability Engineering Manager
Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is seeking a software engineering professional to lead a new Operations and Reliability team. This team will be working to support, automate and improve the infrastructure that underpins Github’s new managed Github SAAS offering. You’ll be leading the team responsible for operations - the day to day monitoring, administration and operations necessary to run Github in a cloud environment at scale - and reliability engineering - the work to automate, iterate and improve the systems that make this SAAS offering work. Partnering well with other GitHub teams including Technical Account Managers, Infrastructure, and Product Engineering is essential for this role.
Most importantly you’ll help grow our culture of inclusion, collaboration and togetherness. We are a remote team and work with teammates across the world and in many different time zones. Mental health first is one of our team mantras. In a Covid world we want to build as healthy and sustainable a team as we can through empathy, flexible schedules and empowerment. Within those confines we are passionate about making a team that is scalable through shared knowledge and well defined best practices.
Our platform is helping deliver a cloud native experience to Github’s new SAAS offering. Docker, Moby, Kubernetes, infrastructure as code, managed cloud services and distributed security is where most of our time will be spent. Experience operating managed public services and knowing how to think about monitoring, automation, day to day administration and incident management will be key. Familiarity with paired programming, TDD, unit testing, kanban and a desire to ship many times a day will fit well with our way of being.
This role at GitHub is an opportunity to blend your system design, empathy, and software engineering skills on an ever-changing set of novel reliability and operations challenges. Join us on this journey and have a meaningful impact on how the world builds software.
- Ensure smooth day to day operations of GitHub’s SAAS offering.
- Automate away as much of the day to day as possible - “Run By Robots” is the goal.
- Drive organization wide best practices for monitoring, alerting and incident management.
- Identify, respond to and collaborate with product teams to resolve production and customer issues and incidents.
- Help drive new features, abilities and code changes into the core product with an operations focused point of view.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus and results-oriented approach
- 8+ years experience in Managed Services Operations
- 8+ years Operations and/or Engineering Management experience
- Experience effectively contributing to technical strategy and roadmaps
- Experience with at least one cloud platform, such as Azure
- Comfort with the GNU/Linux operating system, particularly Ubuntu
- Experience with Docker
- Familiarity with Kubernetes
- Experience with scripting and automation
- Experience building infrastructure and automation
- Experience with monitoring, alerting and operations
- Experience with distributed systems with high availability requirements
- Experience with incident response
- Have managed a distributed team
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience with Azure (AAD, Security, ARM, AKS)
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Moby
- Comfort with at least one modern programming language, such as Golang
- Experience operating services at scale
- Experience with highly available systems at scale
- Experience building and deploying software in a SAAS environment
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.