Lead Platform Engineer
United States (Remote)
Lead Platform Engineer (Remote)
Pantheon is the only WebOps platform built from the ground up for agility. We help our customers win, where digital experience starts and matters most - their websites. We empower teams of developers, marketers, and IT professionals to focus on delivering business results while Pantheon handles uptime, performance, scalability and security. We are the fastest growing Drupal and WordPress platform in the world, powering over 200,000 sites and serving billions of pages every month. Happy customers include some of the most recognized names in high tech, higher education and NGO, such as Patch, Apigee, UC Berkeley, Arizona State University, and the United Nations.
With 35% of the web running open source, we are growing aggressively into a huge market opportunity and looking to expand our engineering team. That’s where you come in.
Engineering at Pantheon operates in small mission-focused teams that are tasked with large business problems and armed with a fully capable set of engineering skills. They dig in, understand the problem and find the optimal path to success. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute at all levels of the stack -- and we mean the kernel tweaking to feature design kind of full-stack.
We’ve got depth and breadth across the technologies we use to run the Pantheon platform at scale. You’ll have many opportunities to pick up and apply new skills and gain professional experience with some of our existing use of Cassandra, MySQL, Redis, React, Node.js, Python, Golang, C, Chef, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, and more.
Pantheon is looking for a Lead Platform Engineer to join our team. This hands-on Engineer will be responsible for technically leading and managing a globally distributed team. We’re expanding an impressive and growing platform that powers hundreds of thousands of websites, millions of containerized resources, billions of monthly page views, and development tools that professional website developers use.
Along the way, we’ve written tools to manage containers at scale, built a massive multi-tenant distributed file system, contributed to open source communities (WordPress, Drupal, Fedora, Chef, systemd, cURL, Kubernetes, Sensu, to name a few), a CI/CD pipeline, and a cloud-native container-based infrastructure orchestrated with Kubernetes. If you have fluency in these technologies, it is a plus, but we encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Pantheon’s core company values are Trust, Teamwork, Passion, and Customers First. Within Pantheon engineering, we value collaboration, quirkiness, autonomy, and a no-blame culture. We're enthusiastic participants in several open-source communities and have real relationships with many of our most active customers. If all of this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What you will do
- Close collaboration with the wider engineering team to both deliver platform improvements and provide subject-matter-expertise for other technical initiatives
- Lead the team responsible for the CDN/Routing layer of the platform.
- Own your team’s production systems, measure and track their health, and assist our dedicated support team to resolve production issues
- Continuous improvements to our standard of engineering excellence by implementing best practices for coding, testing, deploying and communication
What you bring to the table
- You enjoy and have experience with large-scale, high traffic platforms and the design of scalable, robust services in the real world
- You can contribute to technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- You are a clear communicator, able to represent your contributions and ideas with clarity while remaining open and giving space to the contributions and ideas of others.
- Experience with the following technologies: * Python * Golang * Google Cloud Platform * Kubernetes * Docker * CircleCI * Fastly - huge plus * Security background - good to have
Proudly based out of San Francisco, Pantheon is a platform where marketers and developers build, host, and manage their high-value Drupal and WordPress websites. Pantheon's engineering's secret sauce is not our innovative scaling and performance tooling but our passionate, creative, collaborative team.
What We Offer
- Fantastic work environment powered by an amazing team
- Unlimited vacation
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Monthly gym and book allowance
- Pantheon recently closed its Series D funding ($40m)
- Pantheon is one of America’s Best Workplaces of 2019
- Pantheon earns Top 10 Ranking in “Best Software Awards” by G2 Crowd
- Pantheon actively sponsors programs like the Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC 19)
Pantheon is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law. Visa Sponsorship is not available at this time.