Site Reliability Engineer - Cloud
Astronomer is a rapidly growing startup with the mission to build the next generation of data orchestration. We run the world’s most successful Apache Airflow as-a-service offering (Astronomer Cloud), and offer enterprises licensing to run our PaaS on their Kubernetes clusters (Astronomer Enterprise).
We're looking for SREs to join our Infrastructure team which is responsible for scaling our cloud service, and operating the systems surrounding that. The ideal candidate will be passionate about an operations role that involves deep knowledge of distributed computing, and they will also believe that automation is a key component of operating large-scale systems. SREs at Astronomer own the full infrastructure stack; from host IO performance debugging to application deployment pipelines, up through to application performance and cluster operations. Our responsibilities are both broad and deep.
Our team is collaborative; we work closely with the development teams we support to deliver the best results. We think critically and strive to balance the best solution with the need to get things done for each engineering challenge we face.
- Serve as a primary point who is responsible for the overall health, performance, and capacity of our platform.
- Assist in the roll-out and deployment of new product features and installations to facilitate our rapid iteration and growth.
- Develop tools to improve our ability to rapidly deploy and effectively monitor applications in a large-scale environment.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure the platform is designed with operability in mind.
- Identify and lead efforts to improve automation.
- Perform root cause analysis and document results in the form of post-mortems.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- Function well in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- 3+ years Hands-on experience operating Kubernetes clusters in a production environment
- Experience in managing and scaling distributed systems in one of the three major cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Understanding of the Linux Operating System, standard networking protocols, and components
- Experience with deploying, supporting and monitoring new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools (terraform, Cloudformation, etc.)
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
Nice to Have
- Experience with scale testing, disaster recovery, and capacity planning
- Strong drive to automate manual operations and to improve them through repeated iteration
- Experience with at least one of the following languages; NodeJS, Go, Python.
- Familiarity with Apache Airflow
At Astronomer, we value diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.